New Boat Design Press Conference

Haven't they been getting thousands down to view the boats at the various ports, they are the ones I was thinking of, pretty sure they are #1's mostly.

Yeah but they earn very little revenue from spectators standing on the harbour wall watching the view.

They would earn more from targetted advertising (such as on the VOR website) which is only going to be seen by die-hard race followers, 90% of which I bet are sailors.

Hence the real fans (and who are most likely to generate revenue) are mostly sailors I reckon.

Unfortunately I think you'll find the revenue comes from car dealers who enjoy the hospitality at the stop overs and in fits of wild and uncontrolled enthusiasm for offshore yacht racing, buy more Volvos.

Not my field of expertise either but I wonder how many of the die hard fans that watch over the Internet go out and buy Volvo product as a result. I suspect that there is more of a return for Volvo on the corporate functions, nieche parties, public events and advertising/promotions at each port of call. Oh and don't forget the mass media coverage it attracts due to its heritage.

IMHO The VOR does need to keep it real enough to attract the worlds best sailors however and to keep it real enough for credibility sake otherwise they will forfeit the above. The one common theme I hear everyone say is "I wish there were more boats competing". I reakon Vovo have layed down the challenge to the organisers - either get more boats competing or we are out. It wouldn't suprise me if the funding for next time around was based on such a metric.

If so, what other options could the organisers have chosen?

Good question.

My inital answers would mean a change to the nature of the race (ie two handed). So- fully crewed RTW, original course, inport races for show only. Have a serious look at the scoring to make it more meaningful, (to win overall you have to finish and finish well every leg.

I thought about costs, but my understanding is the bulk of the cost is manpower and hospitality, not boat design???? Anybody?

How about no design limits but maximium crew numbers (no stored power OF COURSE).

I'm just disappointed that the NZ marine industry has had the door shut on it for the next 2 races. I guess that's my complaint more than the one design thing. Still don't understand why Farr design got it but that's not my beef - maybe they put in a lower tender price for it.

Does it matter who designs a one-design?

Hell I could have and all the teams will still start on a equal footing......... until the boats break up and they all die. Hmmmmmm....... best I don't do the engineering I think ;)

Does it matter who designs a one-design?

That's what I was thinking. I could be Bruce Farr or Mickey Mouse. They are all in the same boat (literally).

Thought pretty much as you did AA but on reflection it does make some sense.

FYD, though I don't think they're any longer at the peak, do have experience from both the VO70 and Open 60s but I think most importantly, of the serious contenders, they're by far (terrible pun, I apologise) the most experience with one design and how to get that part right.

As to whether one design is right, different debate but accepted you are going down that route, makes sense to go down it with some one with a good track record there.

Hopefully Southern will get the rig work, be too much to hope I guess that a kiwi loft will get the sails.

Do they all have to be built at the same place at the same time? Or can they build their own boats to the new rule?

All being built by the same mob. One can be yours for a gentle 4.5 million Euros or around 7.5 mil NZ$.

Knot sure if that's a good or bad price, I suppose it depends on the level of finish. I'd assume for that price you'd be sail-away, you'd hope so.

Archived