New Boat Design Press Conference

I don't understand why he even got a look in, when clearly Juan K designs faster boats
Good comment but sadly totally irrelevant. One-design so it makes zero difference who designs them or what speed they travel at.

I know that's a hard concept for you 'speed is the only thing it's about' multi dudes but some of us do prefer a good race instead :twisted: :twisted:

(note: that comment was going to be tagged to Clippers comment but AA is more fun, just, to wind up ) ;)

Nah, have a go KM but I know you think the same way dude. I would have thought a race was about going the fastest, personally. So if saving money & they all have to be the same why don't they just lease the clipper boats? That'll save more money! Why not get a set of Cav 32's and race them? Cheaper still probably.

I was disinterested in the current race due to all the crap about winching boats onto ships and potentially boats winning that didn't even sail the whole way round. Thanks to Groupama, I check in at least once a day now.

But the new concept has elevated my disinterest to a whole new level. This will be like racing formula fords. Whoopdee sh*t...

Guest Saturday Night Special

Its interesting to see peoples veiws since the inception of the V70 class its turned into a wank fest based on money its not even about finishing the race. Volvo Race controll have fucked it Frosted nuts and his team still dont get it ,To make it more cost efeective you take the designers out come on that wont make a difference. I wonder how Mick Cookson feels isnt his yard good enough to build a boat? None of these guys who made these decissions have thought this out very carefully .If you were penalised or disqualified from the race because you didnt finish a leg that would fix the failure rate ,introduce scantling regulations to ensure the boats dont fail,over engineering them (The crew fails befor the boat) and if you are really serious about cost saving 1. ban Carbon.2.Ban floppy Danglers 3. send them to the Southern Oceean and tell them there is no outside help .They wont build grenades then.

Really thats not what this is a one design race So Now you cant put a NZ home grown Campaign together at all, Good one mate .We have contributed more to This race than any other nation and now it is finished ,might as well buy a fleet of old Swan 65s at least they will all be close in raceing

I don't understand why he even got a look in, when clearly Juan K designs faster boats
Good comment but sadly totally irrelevant. One-design so it makes zero difference who designs them or what speed they travel at.

I know that's a hard concept for you 'speed is the only thing it's about' multi dudes but some of us do prefer a good race instead :twisted: :twisted:

(note: that comment was going to be tagged to Clippers comment but AA is more fun, just, to wind up ) ;)

Nah, have a go KM but I know you think the same way dude.

Hey, one does have to try now and again. Sometime you get one in, sometimes you don't :)

I would have thought a race was about going the fastest, personally
So you'd enjoy me racing Vodaboat and a Opti?? Answer a Yes to that and I think we'd need to check just what's in your water up there. Yes a race is about going fast but that means the fastest in your fleet, be the average of that fleets speed being 200kts or just 2kts. I have sailed very fast yachts a lot and I can assure you the faster a fleet sails the bigger the opportunities there are for it to become a non-race real fast.

I think watching a fleet of these proposed 65's could be bloody good and the racing top end but I don't think this race and those yachts are a good match. The Spirit of this race has taken a hell battering over the last couple of versions and I think this will totally kill it very dead. That's sad in many ways. Gone is the 'courseness' or 'texture' for lack of better words. Now it's polished and slick, bit like any bands 3rd album, a Politician or a rugby 'franchise'. They all lack that 'let's knock up something and have an adventure into the great unknown', again for lack of a better phrase, quality the race originally had. Polished and slick is common place way to much these days, why add to it.

What would be cool is each team has 1 million to buy any boat in the world they like and another mil to tweak and then campaign it. I reckon that would be damn good to watch, have a lot larger fleet, would have a lot of the more amateur like entries and be far better for yachting in general as it would open so many opportunities to the masses who will never get a chance otherwise.

I was disinterested in the current race due to all the crap about winching boats onto ships and potentially boats winning that didn't even sail the whole way round. Thanks to Groupama, I check in at least once a day now.

Elasped time:

Top three ignoring all that have failed to complete a leg

Telefonica - 123d 19h 18m 53s

Groupama - 129d 01h 47m 35s

Campa - 134d 19h 32m 37s

Ignoring the fact camper is off the pace this is the most relevant set of data i have seen points systems arn't relevant ,but this is not a round the world race remember, its the Volvo Ocean race! booo hoo hoo

Man how fun was it watching the clipper race...... :roll: exactly

Think we have seen the last of the great Volvo 70s " breaking" at break neck speeds

This has to be the "safe" option. And in my opionion the wrong option.

If you asked me what would I prefer to watch. An open 70 multi or a one design 65 mono? I know the one I would watch.

Come on guys. It's not about money it's about the ultimate round the world race. For fark sake, if they were going to do one design monos, at least make them 100ft speed machines.

I won't be looking foward to the next volvo race. Probably just read the results at the end of each leg...

Wow what a load of whinging....

The current race has been fantastic. Maybe a slow painfull start but now its just awesome and the coverage is sensational.

I am seriously looking forward to the next race.

If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

It seams there are a lot of people that think the race owes us something.

If anything it's probably the other way around. They are trying to associate themselves with the races roots , which would suggest they have a feeling the punters should be watching just as they did the Whitbread. Yet the race is nothing like it's roots these days.

It's a simple case of trying to make something mass market for a large payday also being good or whatever enough for those who know the game to also follow. Always a struggle to do that as finding the balance between appealing to those who know squat diddly and those who do know the subject is frecking hard at the best of times. That doesn't it's bad but it does mean some who know the game will turn off, as it appears some/many have.

It's no different than what's happened/happening with the rugby, the AC and a fair whack of other stuff. A lot of enthusiasts have also turned off those since they became sanitised for mass consumption.

Wow what a load of whinging....It seams there are a lot of people that think the race owes us something.

:think:

Come to think of it you are right!

I've never never heard anyone involved in sport identifying that they owe their fans anything.

Silly us!! :D

Wow what a load of whinging....

The current race has been fantastic. Maybe a slow painfull start but now its just awesome and the coverage is sensational.

I am seriously looking forward to the next race.

If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

I agree :D

Dont the fans pay for the race?

Without fans there would be no race.

Think it should be in their best interest to make it as attractive as possible for their fans while not taking away too much from the race.

Two types of fans

1) those that like to look at the pretty boats, drink a lot and watch tv.

2) sailors.

There are more of 1 than 2, what to do?

I think the coverage of this years race has been exceptional.

It sux that there were so few boats and all of them broke at some stage of the race.

From a TV point of view big fast boats are better :thumbup:

From a sailing point of view, one design boats that you can push hard and don't break are better.

Guess the decision has been made so no point going on about it.

Bring on the AC72 action :D

Two types of fans

1) those that like to look at the pretty boats, drink a lot and watch tv.

2) sailors.

There are more of 1 than 2, what to do?

I wonder about that? Or rather how many more of #1 than #2. Because I struggle to see many people being genuinely interested if they are not connected to sailing pretty closely i.e. they are are sailors or have been.

Haven't they been getting thousands down to view the boats at the various ports, they are the ones I was thinking of, pretty sure they are #1's mostly.

Archived