old liferaft

I have a friend who was given an old Avon 4 person liferaft manufactured in 1984 and last inspected 1987.It was in a fibreglass container.He wanted to use it as a water toy for his grandchildren.He asked me how he should open it.I said we should pull the cord.So we did ,and it worked perfectly.It inflated tight and stayed tight.I inspected it closely.Of course the flares were old and the light batteries were dead but everything else was in good shape.There was some rust on one can of water.I eyeballed the CO2 system and it looked good.No doubt the raft spent most of its life in storage but judging by the stickers on the container it had also seen some weather.

And the moral of the story is.....maybe an uninspected Avon liferaft is better than no liferaft.

I went looking on trade me several years ago for a life raft, 1st one I got for $50.00, an Avon 4 person as well but failed its service due to rubber parts showing signs of perishing due to being stored wet. 2nd one cost I think it was $200.00 and pasted service $900 I think it was. So if you dont pay to much you can fluke it. Biggest problem with life rafts is where to stow the dam things.

Depends. An uninspected liferaft that doesn't open can kind of ruin the day too :wink:

But yeah, I opened my RFD at 10yrs beyond it's last inspection. It opened and looked perfect. The biscuits tasted terrible, but I don't think they are made to win a masterchief competition.

Yes,I think most of the RFD's sold in NZ were good quality.I had one once and was getting it recertified.The inspectors were preparing me for bad news as they opened it,bad mouthing it.When they saw it they changed their tune."Oh,this is heavy duty fabric ,same as the commercial ones!"

Remember J Harkins adventure where the bottom came out of their raft?Was it a Zodiac?

I bought a Viking raft and had it serviced..Looked like new to me. It was about ten years out of service so needed water , batteries and flares. I got to inflate it at the service centre. Don't ever let one off below!

We kept our valise packed raft (bought new and in test) under the dining table on the cat.

On returning from a meal ashore in Mahon it had let itself off and filled the cabin.

Luckily we had small boys who could crawl under it to get to the relief valves to let it down

We were told in Palma it was subject to a recall but as we were cruising we didn't get the message.

That's flaming amazing BooBoo. But what's it all about?? Have I right that he is trying everything to bust through a wall and in the end the door is open all along??

Isn't it that the door opens inwards (by pulling) and he is trying to push it open?? How are my secret weapons coming on Booboo?

Yes I think you are actually right Smithy.

Yes snuffers have been ordered and will be here next week. The other secret weapon is being cut as we speak!

What, big blue Ogre? Nah, she's got a bit of life left in her yet... Anyway, no more trawling with Booboo's snuffers.. (Kiss of death right there...).

Thanks Booboo. See you in a couple of weeks..

Archived