Another two idiots

Rats

Ill-prepared boaties 'very lucky'

BLAIR ENSOR

POLICE REPORTER

Last updated 12:30 09/07/2012

Police have criticised two poorly-prepared boaties who sparked a two-hour search and rescue operation off the Kapiti Coast.

The two men in a small 4.8m boat were found drifting in the dark, more than 1 kilometre off shore after using a spotlight to signal to their rescuers about 7pm last night.

They had a cell phone with low battery power and claimed to have a VHF radio which was not working, police say.

There were not enough jackets on board for the pair.

"There's going to be some questions asked," Senior Constable Barry Hart, of Wellington's Maritime Police said this morning.

The men called for help about 5pm after their boat broke down. They gave a location, Makara Point, that did not exist, which made the rescue effort difficult, Mr Hart said.

"They didn't know the area at all."

The men were found by the Mana Volunteer Coastguard and the police launch Lady Elizabeth IV.

The men's boat was towed back to Mana by the volunteer crew. It was likely the boat broke down because of an electrical fault.

"They are very lucky that weather conditions were pretty good."

Ok.... an electrical fault...but you don't even know where you are???.... and you don't have enough lifejackets on board for TWO people?????? :wtf:

When are we going to start billing the idiots like this that are just creating grief for all the law abiding boaties with some common sense :roll:

When are we going to start billing the idiots like this that are just creating grief for all the law abiding boaties with some common sense :roll:

Think you'll find Coast Guard charge non-members by the hour, and its not cheap, something in the order of $250/hr.

From leaving their home port to returning to their home port.

Makes the $100 / year subscription VERY good value for money...

Agree Fish... but it does not seem to deter poorly planned excursions like this :crazy:

Perhaps the coasties need to advertise that benefit more... but I suspect these guys especially given a second lifejacket was too much dinero to spring for aren't going to rush out and become coast guard members either.

Maybe the coasties should have a double charge for stupidity :lol:

A $500-$1000 dollar an hour non member tow fee would certainly improve Coast Guard membership don't ya think :lol:

Think you'll find Coast Guard charge non-members by the hour, and its not cheap, something in the order of $250/hr.

From leaving their home port to returning to their home port.

Makes the $100 / year subscription VERY good value for money...

not sure if that is national or just a northern region thing....

So what happens if these people then decide that they will join CG? All of a sudden they think they have an insurance policy?

Nah mate it won't happen to me, & if it does it's CG's problem.

What worries me more is that they breed.

I think the CG charging thing is region specific, as pretty sure I heard one the local CG guys tell us they just ask for a donation.

Amazingly he also said most people they rescued, dont even say thankyou, let alone make a donation as requested.

Archived