Olympic Racing

Hurts

What race did they cover after the Laser Radial? - wasn't sure how much delay there would be after their finish so went to bed. Impressed with the camera shots and close ups for that race, but was ready to see some 49er's after a radial race, although it was good to see just how quick that Irish sailor is upwind. Shame they can't be clearer about what races they are going to cover beforehand. I'd even be keen to watch the Stars, especially if it gets even windier - yes I know they are an anachronism, but this class is still quite interesting from a technical perspective (constant rig tune upwind, and watch the bottom mark roundings when the rake shifts back aft in the middle of a hairy gybe), and it does cater for the big guys and attracts some pretty top sailors. Anyway, it's their last Olympics and we can all enjoy the kitesurfers next time.

Well i wasnt expecting Ben Ainsle to be getting dominated after 6 races. Do you think he can catch the 10 point difference when firsts worst result is a 2nd so far?

I saw some good tv coverage of the first or second finn race on prime and was impressed with the range of camera closeups. Thought it was excellent coverage of a boat race actually. Just hard to find what is on ahead of time.

adding more sexy modern classes like skiffs/cats/foiling boats in the olympics... I am not sure it will help attract much more coverage actually.

There is already windsurfing/kitesurfing/skiff/cat/tri/foil racing at national/international level and it does not get much media coverage ever unless someone is killed (or nearly killed) doing it.

Hence the logical conclusion: we should be staging a collisions/sinkings/death much more often at all levels of racing to get the attention of the media.

This is probably not the best day to revisit my perennial bitch about the arseholes who run the Olympics but this one seems nannyish in the extreme.

Olympics sailing spectators banned from bringing folding chairs 'for safety reasons'

People who paid up to £55 for an official spot to watch the Olympic sailing have been told by organisers they cannot bring folding chairs to sit on for health and safety reasons.

By Sam Marsden1:54PM BST 23 Jul 201225 Comments

Elderly spectators say they will not be able to stand or sit on the steep grassy bank at Nothe Gardens in Weymouth, Dorset, for the duration of the events, which last up to five-and-a-half hours each day.

Fans with tickets to watch the sailing contests in the waters off Weymouth and Portland, where Britain’s Ben Ainslie will attempt to win a record-equalling fourth gold medal, have also been banned from taking picnic hampers and cool boxes.

When it comes to food and drink, they are restricted to bringing with them 100ml of liquid and “one small snack”.

Donald Stephens, 79, who recently underwent knee surgery and struggles to get around but is not registered disabled, is among those worried about the restrictions.

His friend Gaye Mayger, from Weymouth, said he has been told by officials that he cannot take a folding chair and will have to sit on a rug.

She said "Donald is a keen sailor and he's determined to watch the Olympic sailing, but the London Organising Committee have been so vague about whether there will be a seat for him.

“He's worried if he sits on a blanket he'll never get up again."

A London 2012 spokesman said: "For health and safety reasons fold-up chairs are not permitted in the Nothe Gardens, which is an exposed and steeply banked site.

"We were clear about the site specifications at the point of sale. However, we will have limited fixed seating available for those that most require it."

What utter bollix, you're right David. Bit like our local Grammar school. After nearly 100 years worth of pupils getting through with no problems what so every they have now decided wearing sandals is a Health and Safety risk so are banning them. The world being over run by soft cocks and they are dragging the rest of us down to their pathetic level with them.

Anyway..... are you sure sailing is at the Olympics? Nothing I've seen nor heard, bar here on Crew, would suggest there is.

The two Laser medal races last night were quite intriguing to watch, especially the Radial which was perfectly set up with the top contenders all going into it even on points. The Chinese girl was quick upwind and down, and even stayed in front on the first downwind after a penalty turn. Great result for the Kiwi 49er team, first yachting medal for a looong time, and the 470s still to go.

The coverage of the Olympics yachting in the media has been absolutely outstanding. I could hardly be happier. It has been comprehensive, widely available, high quality and entertaining.

I've recorded all of the racing, and I have rewatched several of the races in full. I've rewound close mark roundings where multiple boats have been in close quarters to see exactly what happened, I've paused to look at rig set ups, and tuning choices, sail selections etc.

MySkyHDi has been just brilliant.

If you have made the conscious choice not to elect to have what is available, that's fine... but don't subsequently bag "the madia" for their coverage... by all means bag "the free to air coverage", or "the print media", or "the free broadcast television and radio media"... but if you are going to be lazy and proclaim that "the media" has not had anything or that you haven't seen or heard anything in "the media" about the sailing, then you're being unfair.

Hi KB, what were your thoughts on the top mark roundings of some of the first laser radials, if you saw it? It really held up Sarah Winther quite a bit if I remember correctly as there were a lot of port tackers coming in.

I agree with KB the coverage is just fantastic.

I even admit watching the Lasers and they looked pretty cool and finishing Yacht Races with a reach from the bottom mark is brilliant for making sailing look more exciting.

The coverage of the Olympics yachting in the media has been absolutely outstanding. I could hardly be happier. It has been comprehensive, widely available, high quality and entertaining.
Knot quite so if you don't have sky by the looks of it.
it is rediculous that stars are sailed at the olympics.

Beyond stupid. I mean, the finns and 470s are stupid enough, but stars?

F*ck me. Is there a stupider boat out there?

After watching a Star race, I can't agree more! They don't even have a spinnaker FFS! A Piedy is more advanced than a Star.

Make you wonder how the Star can be in and the Tornado out? Backhanders is the only answer I can think off.

No, haven't seen the first laser radial race yet, but I will go back and watch it... I thought the GBR star crew's top mark rounding in the medal race where they came in on port and tacked RIGHT on the mark, missing the mark by inches, and completing their tack with around 1 foot to spare between their stern and the bow of the French (I think it was) boat coming in on starboard was a highlight... just stunning boat handling.

The star is in the olympics because it is widely regarded as the pinnacle or world class racing... winning an Olympic or Star world championships title is (arguably) the hardest thing to do in class racing in the world of yachting.

Some of the very best of the best have for generations gravitated to the star class. Look at ht ehonour roll of Star Class champions, for example:

Olympic Star winners include Lowell North, Torben Grael, Iain Percy

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(sailboat)

Star world Champions include Malin Burnham and Lowell North, E.W. Etchells, Paul Elvstrom, Dennis Conner, Tom Blackaller, Buddy Melges, PauL Cayard, Steve Erickson, Torben Grael, Colin Beashel, Eric Dyle and Tom Olsen, Iain Percy, and Hamish Pepper. Not the worst list of sailors I've ever read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_World_Championships

If it is not on free to air TV I will miss it.

I have more important things to spend money on than sky tv which in the past has proven to be a waste of money due to crap programming (on par with free to air tv) and as many ads as free to air - or so it seems.....

I spend a few more dollars on broadband and get mostly what I want to watch - that is when I get time.

Minimum sky for 1 year is some $550, but to get movies and sports coverage you are looking at up to $1470 per year.

I'm with Rigger. If we could have we would have watched some Olympics, but $1500 x 4 years , um $6k to watch the games???I simply object to paying money to watch TV.

Dunno about the $$ being talked about here, we got Sky basic last year on a pretty good deal, and just did an upgrade to Sky Sport during the Olympics (although even then I found that you needed MySky to get the extra 3 HD channels). Its been well worth it, and not just for the sailing.

Having not really watched Star's before this regatta I have to agree with KB that the skills on display in that class are great, the precision at the top marks were exceptional in the breezy conditions they had, and its quite impressive the way the crews can control those massive mainsails (and keep the masts standing!). But they're gone now and I'm sure lots of people will be glad about that, especially now with the Nacra 17 cat being bought in instead. All the other classes had or are having some cool TV moments, but the definite yawn for me was the Elliott 6 match-racing, and I'm happy that they're out next time.

Blaa blaa, it appears to watch Olympics bar the random dross or a few stills you need sky. That's it, so be it, move along please.

Anyway on my Olympic new feed channel, the radio, Nik Willis had a bad day unfortunately and some dude kicked out yesterday morning but allowed back in yesterday arvo, won the 1600mts. WTF is that about??? In other Olympic news, some Chinese girl swimmer has extraordinarily large feet apparently.

From my secondary news channel, the other radio, . Major scandal in the Village. Apparently it's being over run by condoms branded with Kangaroos. Shock horror as they aren't the official Olympic Condom.

And I'm pretty sure something else has to have happened but as it appears none were NZers I'll never know.

Archived