More theiving NZ retailers??

Just ran into this one and as we know you guys just love to bitch about NZ retailers being thieves I thought I'd drop this in. Oh it involves another case of 'interesting' marketing.

8mm short link anchor chain - CMP brand, being marketed hard as Canadian but when I went to school Canada didn't have a Provence called China nor a city called Ningbo, so that's rather creative to say the least.

Anyway in NZ it's being retailed for between $9.99 per mt and $12.99 per mt inc 15% GST.

In Aussie the exact same stuff is AUS$15.95 (NZ$21.25 per mt) inc Aussies 10% GST.

So in NZ you can buy the same stuff for 1/2 the price you can in Aussie. Mind you you can also buy a stronger higher grade Italian made 8mm for the same price here and over there, which makes the asian a bit of a why would ya?. But as we all also know marketing beats the truth way to often these days, just look at the bollocks people fall for during a NZ Election, rampant and oozing :wink:

I asked a regular Trademe Retailer where his Certex brand Chain was made. I already knew the answer, just wanted to see what the reply would be. It is also Chinese. His reply was Italy. So it seems Ningbo is just round the Corner from both Canada and Italy.

...just down the road from the Stihl chainsaw factory.
There has been a exceptionally similar thing happen in the marine game as well very recently. Except the knocked off manufacturer is a NZ company this time.

We use quite a lot of Stanley Knife Blades.

In the passed I've always got them sent down by our US branch but thought I'd try local suppliers.

From the States ex the supplier we pay US$ 14.11 per packet of 100 blades.

Landed in NZ that works out to $22.79 NZ.

Tried 3 NZ suppliers and best price offered is $68.48 plus GST.

I have just ordered them from the States !

Archived