Trailer sailer keel

Hi guys,

The swing keel on my noelex 22 is in pretty sorry shape and needs resealing as there is a bit of corrosion in the center (which has made the keel expand in width).

keel1.jpg

keel2.jpg

I'm learning as I'm going but don't know what I should use to seal it - can I just use filler or do I need to fibre glass it all? also to cover the tin on the sides it will be too wide to fit through the slot, whats a good method to take a few millimeters off?

All advice or ideas appreciated

hi there cant see an easy fix here if you just cover it up it will keep expanding water has got into keel centre which is steel,for ballast.If it was me i would drop the keel out and try and peel off the fibreglass maybe a flat spade? then get keel sandblasted and re galved,then epoxy sides back on again.Not an easy fix but i cant see any alternative.may be easier to try and find a second hand one.

Bugger was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the steel out but thanks for the answer.

Sorry not sure why the pictures not working will try again now

post-11565-14188720669.jpg

post-11565-141887206693.jpg

Had a go at dropping it out but couldn't make the pin budge! drowned it in crc worried it might be a little bent can only get small swings in with the mallet unless I start taking apart other bits of the boat.

reluctant to grind the frame out of the boat as that really is starting to get scary for a novice like me

post-11565-141887206695_thumb.jpg

post-11565-141887206703_thumb.jpg

Archived