SSB is dead, long live Satph

Knot me where do you get your information.

if your exaggeration prices are anything to by :lol: :lol: :lol:

ICOM

IC-M802 - Digital Marine SSB Radio

$1,849.99

+ Add to Cart

ICOM

AT-140 Antenna Tuner For SSB M802

$479.99

http://www.multihulls4us.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Defender Marine as everyone knows everything is always much much cheaper if knot brought in NZ. So rather than quote a NZ number.

The feckers are now on sale, maybe they saw this thread :lol:

Icom M802 SSB Marine Radio System - List US$3420.00, now on special at US$1839.00. It's the cheapest SSB listed today on that site. The parts were from the same place and were a guess as to whether you actually need them or knot.

The same AT-140 tuner - US$710 but can be had for US$477 at the moment from Defender.

Pays to shop around doesn't it. If you do buy one just make sure it has 'Australia' installed, the one we had didn't look like it had that feature :?

Interesting to see many of these places dropping some prices by big amounts. Mind you a couple of these big places are in the process of going tits-up or trying like hell to avoid that. Some big manes in some big sh*t at the moment. Then you get Aussie where some seem to be getting right back to their roots and exhibiting some very burglar like pricing.

The prices I quoted where standard prices and not on special. And anybody thats anybody knows West marine is a good starting point and is one on the lowest prices for as a world wide Chandlery on line marine with shipping anywhere in the world, plus if you are nice and polite to them they will tell you how to get it in to the country no tax.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 1_10001_-1

Buying new, every one knows you must use a certified ICOM dealer to install the product if you want them to honor their guarantees.

Ponder this for a moment.

The advantage with a single side band new ICOM you can pre programne to send a May call to any number on receiving stations - all ships, - send automatically e-mails any number with your distress call and if your GPS is circuited into the SSB it will include your LAT and LONG Position in all distress calls, at a push on a button for you. If you have 60 family and freinds ect receiving the e-mails you are likely to be rescued as they would notify the authorities. 2 Secs later you have your grab bag and into the life raft which should have a E.PI.R.B. for, which time is essential in a monohull yacht if you have hit a submersrible container approx 2 mins if its a decent hole as most boats have the minimum bilge pump capacity[ usually one and one in engine room?and hardly ever 3-4000 GPH.] Every one knows in most cases to access your inflatable one must first jump into the water, it,s very seldom ideal conditions are present when life raft activity takes place. And judging by most off your comments you would probably have the cheapest life raft which would not have a boarding ladder or double insulated floors. Have you actually tried to get into a life raft from the water, one has to be very fit and agile [ the first person to go that is ] and then the first person can assist by grabbing you by the hair to pull you in if you have cheap skated and no boarding ladder and cross your legs the life raft does not flip with all the weight is on one side. Would your sat phone be in the grab bag or would it be in your jacket in a water proof container or in your hand in no water tight container or in the pannick on things you completely forget it. I have read at least a dozen stories where their brand new E.P.I.R.P. did not activate or send.!!!! recently.

Accordingly E.P.I.R.B first a good Life raft 2nd. and 3rd good SSB with a decent earth [ should be good for 2600 nms transmit and receive with auto emergency send. 4th a Sat phone.

Cheers with respect.

Lots and lots of assumptions there oceancruiser and lots of opinion that, frankly, does not necessarily line up with quite a few other people with quite substantial numbers of seamiles under their keels.

I think there are many ways of looking at things, many opinions and no absolutely right or wrong answers.

Lots and lots of assumptions there oceancruiser and lots of opinion that, frankly, does not necessarily line up with quite a few other people with quite substantial numbers of seamiles under their keels.

I think there are many ways of looking at things, many opinions and no absolutely right or wrong answers.

No assumptions at all. You either go down or get rescued. I prefer not to go down now.

Have more than 60,000 nsm ocean. Been to life raft rescue orientation programme with a real life raft.

Feck that OC. If I'm going down it's chuck all and sundry over the side and then follow it with my Satph. The same Satph that can be preprogrammed to send a message to one or more people with 1 push of a button. I'll be ensconced in my raft chatting to Sugar on the 0900SPANKME line while you are still firing up your SSB :lol:

My Satph won't be in my grab bag as I'd be using it for position reports.

I once drifted nearly 4 hours from Nth Head up to Bayswater and back in a liferaft. Only one boat came over and asked if we were OK in that entire time.

I once drifted nearly 4 hours from Nth Head up to Bayswater and back in a liferaft. Only one boat came over and asked if we were OK in that entire time.

But no-one diverted from their course to run you down either? :thumbup: You can't set your expectations too high or you are always going to be disappointed. 8)

I also note two passes of the Maz in that route - any significance in that?

But no-one diverted from their course to run you down either? :thumbup: You can't set your expectations too high or you are always going to be disappointed. 8)

I also note two passes of the Maz in that route - any significance in that?

:lol: :lol: Good point. The Mazza was used to restock on the return trip I believe. Thirsty work that drifting.
Feck that OC. If I'm going down it's chuck all and sundry over the side and then follow it with my Satph. The same Satph that can be preprogrammed to send a message to one or more people with 1 push of a button. I'll be ensconced in my raft chatting to Sugar on the 0900SPANKME line while you are still firing up your SSB :lol:

No firing at all just push red button, will your sat phone automatically include the date - time and LAT and long positions from the GPS.

Russel Radio ? --- Exactually.

Is the Sat phone water proof or is it water resistant. Any way the point I,m trying to make besides the the other advantages that have been listed for the SSB it would be probably be actioned upond and rescue activated sooner than any other device because in all probability you would push the SSB red button first as your first response because it is in fixed position and you always know where it is ussually in conspicious spot.

E.P.I.R.B. if the Sat is not in range - could be a few hours before the signal is received and puts rescue into action. However Having all three definately an advantage.

The Third your Cell phone if you are close enough to land.

No firing at all just push red button, will your sat phone automatically include the date - time and LAT and long positions from the GPS. Yes it sure does, that's one of the features I thought was a big plus. I can programme it so at the push of one button it'll txt my lat and long to any phone or phones I like

Russel Radio ? --- Exactually. If Russel Radio has a phone then yes maybe but as I can ring any phone in the world I can ring whoever I like. I'm knot limited to the few with a radio which happens to be on the correct frequency while they happen to be in earshot of it ;) Hell I don't even have to ring to do that, just push the button as mentioned above.

Is the Sat phone water proof or is it water resistant. Yes. Any way the point I,m trying to make besides the the other advantages that have been listed for the SSB it would be probably be actioned upond and rescue activated sooner than any other device because in all probability you would push the SSB red button first as your first response because it is in fixed position and you always know where it is ussually in conspicious spot. Sort of no argument there but knot all SSBs are in handy spots so I'd probaly go EPRIB 1st as they tend to always be in a good spot. Also if I have a satph and need help I can ring Welly SAR directly and be pretty much assured I'd have a clearer line in which to tell them my woes.

E.P.I.R.B. if the Sat is not in range - could be a few hours before the signal is received and puts rescue into action. However Having all three definately an advantage. EPIRBs work though all the Sat systems so probably have better coverage than any Satph would have. The 406 signal should be picked up by a Satt within a minute or 2 at most. A minute or 2 later the SAR centers should know. It's pretty impressive how quick this new system works

The Third your Cell phone if you are close enough to land.

It's a horses for courses thing really. I want fast clear every time communication when offshore so a Satph is the obvious call. If I was cruising and wanted to chat or had time and/or just liked radios, as some do, I'd be fitting a SSB as well. But as this boat will be racing, has very little power generation and I won't have the time to piss around this ones getting a Satph. Once finished I'll be able to use the same phone for things like helping a owner to stop stressing he'll be anally probed by a pissed off Aussie Customs dude for knot calling in in time :)

I was, probably still are, in the I don't care what I have as long as I don't have the bullshit we had over that last 2 weeks. That was painful bollocks and a Satph would have stopped it all in 2 minutes rather than having it drag out for near on 10 days.

WhY in the life raft ? serious question.

It was a 20man one the Navy had just retired so I asked the Boats Chief if I could bang it off to show the Club just what happens. He said Go for it so we rolled it out to the end of the jetty (the one under Nth Head) and let it rip.............. then loaded in some beers and went for an extended drift up then back down the harbour with the tide.

Even doing the 'Help I'm in the pooh' arm wave, no one bar that one boat came for a suss. Most did wave back at us though :?

Also spend some time, knot in vengeance, in 4 mans. Far rather than the space of the 20 man :)

Archived