So, just how do you pronounce 'bouys'?

SanFran

There are two differences in the way the word is pronounced. Old French/Dutch origin is what UK English pronounces it as 'Boy" and New French which is what the Americans user to pronounce it, which is 'Boo-ee'. Although it could be said that there is a W in there( Boo-wee), the New French is not supposed to be pronounced with a W.

Blimey, I can't believe me, one of the worst in regards to anything about English/Grammar, just said all that.

Regardless, the americans are wrong (as they always are :D ). It's pronounced boys, not boowees .... It's the likes of Blue Sovereign that pronounce it that way and nobody wants to be like him!

Both pronunciations are correct. The word is spelled buoy, not bouy.

The current American pronunciation was perfect English pronunciation at the time of American independence. Dr. Johnson's dictionary of 1755 is clear in showing a distinctly pronounced second syllable, as if the word was spelled bou-e with the final long "e" as in "scene". You cannot get much more "English" for the period than Dr. Johnson's Dictionary.

But the English spoken in different parts of the world has evolved and continues to do so. New Zealand English is a dialect. We have several dialects here in the States. The correct pronunciation is that most widely used in the location in which the local version of English is spoken.

In the case of this word American English has remained static and some other forms of English, including received pronunciation and New Zealand English have evolved.

I will continue to pronounce the word as "bou-e" here in the States, and as "boy" when in New Zealand.

Nah they wouldn't waste a missle .... They'd set up some overly complex conspiracy plot involving radical fundamentalist mormons and an arranged bicycle tragedy. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Boy as it normally is said. Boo-wee if you are a septic.

That may have something to do with them using the IALA buoyancy system page upside down :wink:

Archived