Atlantis Wet Weather Gear

DrWatson

Anyone got any good reason why you spend really good money on Wet weather gear?

EG Musto MPX Leggings and HPX Smock which only lasted a few years before becoming useless.

I want to know why wouldn't you get a Drysuit?

Its way cheaper.

You stay dry.

Any help appreciated, I think I'm ready to try dry.

The problem as I see it is getting the right number of layers on under the dry suit, before going to all the effort of putting it on. I'm sure fine for a evening race, but on a long race, where the temperature changes a lot between day and night more difficult. Normal wet weather gear allows for easier layer changes.

This has probably been covered before, but I wonder if we keep all our polyprop, polar fleece and marino layers, and put something actually water proof over the top like PVC, so we actually stay dry for more than the six months 'breathable' gear lasts for.

This 'breathable' wet weather gear has been the biggest 'crock of ....' sold to us in the last 20 years I reckon...

I shredded my Musto pants and needed something for the Coastal (on Ran Tan), so I bought the Atlantis Aegis Hybrid Bib. While I was at it I also got the Aegis Spraytop and Aegis Jacket - I had in mind that I'd simply put the jacket on over the spraytop when conditions warranted.

Basically the price was right considering I might trash em in a season (I remember a Stu Bannatyne talk where somebody asked him what the best gear was - he reckoned anything new).

The bib is comfortable and kept me dry in the liedown at North Head and the 20kn avg to the chicks. Could have done with the legs being a bit longer (or mine a bit shorter).

The spraytop was excellent and I'd recommend it. Certainly light enough to wear under a jacket for a two-jacket strategy.

The Aegis jacket would be ok for inshore or fine weather coastal, but IMHO not much cop for coastal/offshore in foul weather, if only because the collar is not high enough to protect the face/neck (actually rubbed raw the bottom of my ears).

I was running the Predict Wind tracker on iPhone, and the recommendation was don't keep it below, so I had it in my pocket the whole way. Admittedly it was in three ziplock bags, but the bags were dry inside my jacket.

That pic is absolutely identical to some Aigle pants I have. If its the same stuff which it looks to be then its great gear...for summer or winter if its not too wet. Otherwise its just a bit light in the fabric and get gets damp after a few hours. The fit/cut is pretty slim as well which luckily suits me but not for everybody.

Thats assuming its the same stuff which by the look of the Aigle pants sitting on my desk just now - it looks to be.

Just remember we ladies need to strip off a little more than you guys when 'nature calls'. Unless you use a 'She-Wee', and frankly, if you do, you're not a lady. Anyhoo, I love my Gill Drop Seat pants for this very reason. 'S'all I'm sayin'.

BB has a point there. It's a real bugger when you have to go below and remove several layers of gear in order to use the head. And it is really hard to re-dress in a small enclosed space too. :lol:

Drop seat pants sounds the ideal to me.

I get the feeling drysuits are impractical for anything less than offshore sailing, winter conditions or dingy racing. Layers are nice. I will definitely want a drysuit for offshore winter sailing, or long passage making, but I wouldn't want to wear it out by daily use in the harbour, or coastal cruising.

Good to hear that the Atlantis gear withstood the Costal. Where did you buy it? NZ based retailer or online?

I have been told by a lady who tried on a wide range of bibs last Saturday that opening the side zips of drop seat pants is quite a challenge.

They are not really on your side but slightly towards the back so you cannot see when they jam.

Especially on the offshore gear sporting extra velcro flaps (Musto MPX) there is lots of jamming potential.

No storm flaps, less zip jamming, more leaking and there are still two of the buggars instead of one!

Another thing on the negative side of drop seats: Unless you were blessed with African style booty, drop seat pants (at least the Gill) have excessive amounts of material in the 'lower back' region. Forget about the heads, with that clown style you can just wear diapers and no one will know :D

But not only ladies need to strip off. When it's rough, it's far safer to sit...

Archived