Night Sail to the Bay

Chewing Gum

Some of my favourite sails have been overnighters from Auckland to the BOI.

It saves a lot of mileage and time going in and out of anchorages on the way.

And nothing beats cruising along at night in a light SW breeze off the Tutukaka coast.

We normally do 3 hour watches with just one on watch. The only real hazard being Elizabeth reef.

If you leave in the afternoon, most times you are in the Bay by morning - Easy ! :D

I entirely agree.

We've spent the past three summers going up and down the NE coast from North Cape to Whitianga and, certainly in westerly conditions, night passages are our preferred choice.

The advantages are:-

1. a usual diurnal drop-off in wind strength at dusk.

2. diminished sea state due to 1 above.

3. SW tends to west as it drops allowing reaching in either direction.

4. Time to relax during the day and to enjoy the bays and scenery which are world class.

5. Coast is well lit.

I am a very popular skipper as I ABSOLUTELY love night watches. On our own boat or a delivery I routinely do 2200-0600 straight. I'll break this down at the beginning of a passage if I feel fatigue could be a problem but once settled in I can't think of anything better than being alone with the night sky.

This is exactly what I had planned in getting our yacht up to the BOI for Christmas family cruising. Only problem is this coming weekend I was hoping to get the yacht up there with a mate. The weather is not quite as good as you guys have previously had. The wind is not bad being E/SE 15 - 25Knts, but my biggest worry is a 3m+ NE swell coming from that cyclone.

My question to you all, would you go up in this weekend's conditions? We were planning on leaving Fri afternoon and would usually cruise around 6Knts.

Unfortunately not looking good. Metvuw is showing 25-30kt SE at midday Saturday. Might pay to wait. Sunday looks better but often the forecast changes so I would re-evaluate Friday morning - it could still turn out ok for Friday/ Sat.

depending on your comfort level....looking at latest forecast suggests fri night could be a bit rolly out there with not a lot of wind for possibily the swell that will be coming in...still hard to say and these beasts can be unpredictable and all of a sudden move quicker than anticipated... maybe do it in steps ..kawau fri..then make a run for it on Sat when the wind will be fresh with hopefully the swell behind you..or on your quarter...

Thanks for the advice chaps. Will keep a close eye on the forecast. Maybe Kawau Friday night then a run straight through to BOI leaving early Sat morning. At least it would all be in daylight.

Pending a weather change stopping us we are planning on leaving midday tomorrow and heading up. So keep the fingers crossed the swell isnt too bad! I will try post here when we are on our way and advise what the swell is like.

Marshy

Have a good trip Marshy..be interesting to know what direction the swell is beaming in from..hopefully it will give you a push...sounds like there is bit if a team hoping to get up this w/e ..including me..forecast for Sat isnt looking that fast so may require an early start (stress!) lol

we came through to Kawau last night and heading north now....still only 8-10 knots SE (predicted) just hoping it fills in to the 20-25 sooner rather than later to get us up there asap...only 1 M rolling swell at the moment and sky reasonably clear tho a bit of "murk" on the horizon out to see....

Made it to BOI on Saturday all OK in the company of about 4 yachts, one of those must have been you 1Paulg.

Swell was not too bad, although last few hours before Brett was pretty spectacular, swell was a good few metres by then and looked like an explosion when it hit the shore. If you lost all propulsion and drifted ashore you would have no hope.

Yes -prob was Maharg..certainly was interesting conditions that last stretch -noticed one boat went inside Percy tho prob wasnt as bad as it seemed - I was happy to take the safe option on the outside - we were the Cat and prob werent getting thrown around quite as much as the monos there but the backwash and the gusts certainly meant you needed to concentrate

Archived