Duplication, redundancy in marine systems

John B

I always think its good to have two ways of achieving something. When you think about it most yachts are that way anyway... the engine craps out and you always have sails ,or the other way round. It always would worry me having a launch with one engine for example even though they're much more reliable nowadays.

On an overnight sojourn to the tropics last thursday to drop off kids to the ferry, I observed that I thought it was quite interesting the way the owner of this launch obviously thinks ahead , so to speak.

I mean to say , two fairleads is a good idea. That way when the primary is full of anchor chain and you're dragging for example, I could imagine that setting a second anchor and rode over the secondary anchor fairlead would be quite handy.

IMG_3128_9.jpg

probably better if it was on the other way around , but lets not quibble about details.

Quite tidily installed really - as you say, if only it was facing the right way. :problem:

Can't imagine how quick you'd need to be going to punch through close to the gunwhale like that...or to then shear it off the "donor" vessel.

Archived