Prop shaft "rrraaatttllle"

I have a 2GM 20 yanmar driving a 19RH prop via bronze log and PPS seal on 1 25mm (?) s/s shaft. Its always had a bit of a rattle at low revs but went quiet at about 2400rpm. Last weekend it sounded like all hell was breaking loose below so a long journey back at 1600rpm as the rattle and vibration was just too much! The cutlass bearing was replaced about 7 years ago... I hauled out about 4 months ago and the shaft seemed fine. No lateral movement. There is a slight wobble in the PPS when running but again, from inside the coupling seems fine!!!! Any ideas?

Sounds like time for a swim.

Prop..if a folder may not be opening fully or even lost a blade

Cutlass bearing..... may have shat itself or spun out.

OR check support bracket still secured to boat. I had one shear all 4 bolts ( electrolysis). Apparently common on older boats.

Dont know if that helps

Unfortunately none of the above (but thanks!). The prop is not folding and simple shaft log. No strut and yes a shaft anode as of 4 moths ago.. (old ship. Built 1966)

Check the shaft anode hasn't slipped loose.

Arr!! GOOD POINT! (haul out.. yet again)

You'll only need a mask to rule the shaft anode in/out, although you'd need scuba gear (or a diver) to fix it if that turns out to be the issue. Scubash seems to be always keen:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21234

A foot note (and thanks to those who offered suggestions!).

Just a lift and hold (and a idiot....ME!!....who fitted the new prop) showed the source of the vibrating prop shaft.

Allvo Marine found nylon rope rapped around the prop and the prop LOOSE... seems the twit (me) who fitted the new prop when doing up the hex nut ran out of thread thinking the nut was actually running up on the prop!! A bit of machining and a spacer and good as new!!

All I have to do now is drain dirty fuel out of the tank as the engine stopped... right in the middle of the Waitamata channel!!! Dad said NEVER trust an engine... never trust a forecast either as the wind died out completely leaving us bobbing about in the countries busiest shipping channel.

Archived