SSANZ 2014 Round North Island

Jon

Hi KM

You might get lucky and get light airs and no sea, and get away with using a tiller pilot. But if its rough for a few days the only way to get a break would be to heave to, which 930's are ok at and easy with a self tacker. But that wont do much for forward progress in a race.

Stu

Yes but there are times when racing is a secondary consideration.

I Agree SK,

I have looked at a few recently(to buy) and while many are very good there are some that have been "adjusted" around the Chainplate/bulkhead area and there is obvious signs of deck/bulkhead movement in this area.

Sundreamer's Wild oats is a cracker and i wish i had acted sooner :twisted: :wink: :(

Redline - As I said if I trim her she'll sail in a straight line totally hands off so the pilots don't do bugger all. In fact most of the time the TP's could be just solid bit of rod as all it does is stop the tiller flopping from side to side. So while TP's may knot be the best option I'm knot massively stressed they will blow arse from over work. But it looks like I'm going to a more built in system partially for that reason but mainly to get a better pilot to run WA's with.

Zen is 100% correct and what he says is exactly what I think also. I sure wouldn't be pushing her in conditions I think will hurt her. Can't finish if she's busted and can't win if you don't finish.

Built far to light, have seen broken rudders, rigs and chainplates and keels. I wouldnt go off shore in one, as Zen said there are times that racing takes a back seat to survival, and I think a R930 could take more looking after than could be given in extream conditions.
You just described the Volvo, Vendee Globe and many newer race yachts. All were designed, engineered and built with sailing way out in the deep blue very much the primary goal.

Surprised they could get better than Cat 3 as structuraly Cat 1 should require better.
The Regs say if you have a class of boat that is older and knot shown signs of dissolving when wet you are good to go. 30 odd years of on the water actually doing it is a hard thing to argue against.

So have you all spoken to SSANZ and told them knot to accept any 930 entries for the RNI? The boat/s I know who are likely entrants are all heavily modified, most without engineering nor much if any long history as to how they hold together post the big changes. Or are you all expecting that race to be a nice 10-15knot winds sailed only 100mts off a pillow lined beach, just like it was last time?

Come to think of it that wont work

If you do it you were lucky

And it you don't they told you so

SSANZ won't stop you if you turn up with all your paperwork in order.

We won't be sitting on your up turned hull in cook straight when your keel falls off, you an do that all on your own.

What they say makes zero difference to me, it's the double standards the pud pullers seem to be running is the bit that's the annoyance. So will the bitching from them about the small decreasing fleets and the need to be a millionaire to enter a offshore in the future. They will lament the days of NZers grabbing 6 cold pies, a box of beers, a pretty dodgy 35fter then heading off in a Suva race. But they won't acknowledge, even to themselves, they are a large part of the reason why that has been squished.

They need to be more positive about our sport, I can assure them it doesn't hurt, knot even a little bit.

Come to think of it that wont work

If you do it you were lucky

And it you don't they told you so

Yes we are well aware of that.

And Yes I know SSANZ is smarter than your average yachtie, thank gawd.

Anyway enough from that Team Negative mob so lets get back to normal programming, the 2014 RNI race ..... ready ...... steady......... GO!

2014 RNI!

Heck I am still waiting on my rum from the 2011 race.

SHARPIE!!!!!

Boys remember your bet was not with me........way to smart to take that one on knowing the result before we even left the dock. If we had a 40 footer rig in the boat i might have shaken your hand :idea:

R930's - Pepe has been round 2 and 3/4 times, twice in standard trim and sadly only didnt make it last time after she had been beefed up. I know the first couple of times when Paul and Tony? took her round they got smacked pretty hard on a few occasions. cook striat is the worry though, short very steep seas in 50knts for hours on end on the nose would be tough going for one but people have been round in them, and even smaller lighter craft BooBoo will vouch for that

do-able

hmmm is 3rd time always lucky?? :shock:

Archived