ORACLE TEAM USA AC72 - Progress and Evolution

they are starting to look quick with version 1.5 and I wonder how much quicker version 2.0 will be. check out the foiling around 2:20

The latest from the late night dark coffe shop at midnight is that daulton is publicly going to annouce that in his opinion Oracle seems to have gain an advantage over ETNZ.

ETNZ has had their spy boat watching and recording ORACLE's performaces using their radar gun on the bay in USA.

ETNZ has not been able to gibe on foils as yet. The wispers are at the late night dark coffee shop at midnight is that ORACLE can.

OCEANCRUISER :shh: :shh: :) :wink: :wink: :wink:

they are starting to look quick with version 1.5 and I wonder how much quicker version 2.0 will be. check out the foiling around 2:20

ETNZ has not been able to gibe on foils as yet. The wispers are at the late night dark coffee shop at midnight is that ORACLE can.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The latest from the late night dark coffe shop at midnight is that daulton is publicly going to annouce that in his opinion Oracle seems to have gain an advantage over ETNZ.

ETNZ has had their spy boat watching and recording ORACLE's performaces using their radar gun on the bay in USA.

ETNZ has pulled off a foiling gibe. Dropped down to 30 knots through the gibe then back up to 40 again. If OR cannot do this aswell... Game over

I'll make a prediction. One boat will win damn near every race and by a large margin. We won't see much in the way of close tactical racing. What I won't predict is which boat that will be.

I predict that boat will win because of a superior wing than foils.

Thats interesting. I'd have thought the foils far more important than the wing.

The wing area and weight etc is pretty controlled, and the boats seem to have plenty of power. Overpowered a lot. So reducing the drag of the wing might be imnportant for speed, but a boat with a brilliant wing and no foils may well get its arse kick by a shitty wing on nice foils?

The foils are harder to master and there is more variety in their setups than the wings.

I have trouble with viewing the wings. I like to think I can look at a sail and tell whether it is set and trimmed properly, where the draft is etc. I look at a wing and all I see is a wing. Anyone else?

go to sa cup blog and check out the prada see ya auck video, or someone post it here.

there's several shots showing how much the wing is being trimed, and some great other angles ( views ) of the wings.

with a wing if you adjust the camber you change the angle of attack at the same time, so the actual movements you would expect to see as in a soft sail and boom are not going to happen.

I think the wing just needs to be light with reliable control systems, just like an engine. But the foils and how they're controlled in my opinion are the biggie for this cup. As any motorsport team will tell you, races are won and lost on the tyres.

I think the wing just needs to be light with reliable control systems, just like an engine. But the foils and how they're controlled in my opinion are the biggie for this cup. As any motorsport team will tell you, races are won and lost on the tyres.

Agreed.

foils are definitely part of the whole package but i think the lift between O and ET will not be to far apart. But wings are so big and have so many shape and trim variables i think they could be the difference.

Compare this scenario to youre current boats and ask yourself...

What is more important - a good mainsail or a good Keel/centre board. In terms of speed.

i notice most people change/update mainsails before keels to get a better speed edge.

But? that could just be a cost and time issue. and Longer skinnier keels with less weight have been proven faster than the old IOR type.

gunner be interesting :D

You are comparing a wing sail and hydro foils to a soft mainsail and centreboard or keel. Reeaallly?

Not even close to a relevant comparison.

I would rather have an AC72 with Foils and a soft main than an AC72 with Wing and no foils.

Hydroptere has managed to foil without wings so it can be done, and while the learning curve is steeper i beleive the gains and losses are bigger too. Master them and you have a good jump on those who dont.

Put me in the foils over wing camp as well. Wild speculation: go from non foiling to foiling and jump from 20 to 35 kn. Go from Soft sail to wing jump and from 20 to 25kn.

correct. but what would be your priority "for speed" if you could not have foils/wings on your cat.

New C/boards or a new mainsail?.

Probably a new main, but that is NOT the situation we are discussing here. Its a given that now ALL the boats will have wings and foils.

or? if you could choose either a new foil or new wing what would you choose (say you can't havve both)... new foils v a new wing?

New foil for sure.

i would choose a mainsail/wing. A new wing would give me speed staight away but a foil may not be effective or even work straight away.

Thats kinda the point. Everyone understand better what the wings do, and how they work, but the foils are where the gains are to be made.

We are not talking about ordinary boats, or boats that differ widely in concept. They are all the same length, same width, simiiar weight, with wings of the same height and weight and area.

You need the complete package on these boats

You need a wing sail that can be easily trimmed for stable foiling. ETNZ have said that most of the time they will be overpowered so being able to depower the wing and reduce drag is a big one

ETNZs wing 2 is epic. Designed specifically for their foils.

ETNZ has pulled off a foiling gibe. Dropped down to 30 knots through the gibe then back up to 40 again. If OR cannot do this aswell... Game over

If you believe that you'll believe anything. When The boats is on its way to USA.

ORACLE - and continues jibing whilst foiling. ETNZ has not been able to so far and probaly wil not be able to.

If you believe that you'll believe anything. When The boats is on its way to USA.

My sources are good. Don't worry :D

Better then the OR foiling wheelie stop gybe :lol:

Someone earlier said there is not much diff between OR and ETNZ foils - have you considered that it is not just the foils but where they are placed in the hulls as well, there is a huge diff between OR and ETNZ there.

Archived