Outboard flushing

banaari

OK folks - anybody got any ingenious solutions for flushing an outboard after returning to a pile mooring?

Have been thinking about gravity feed to the "earmuffs" from a bucket, but based on previous experience using a normal hose at the marina, I'm not sure that will deliver enough pressure to the intake.

Lift it out of the water and let it drain. That's it. You don't need to flush it. I have never flushed my outboard, or any outboard I have owned and have never ever had an problems. Mine is a 15Hp Johnston and is about 15yrs old.

We have a 8hp yamaha about 10years old and also don't bother with flushing or servicing for that matter apart from occasional change of plugs. We do run it on super petrol and 50:1 though . What is important is not to tip them past horizontal so salt water does not get where it can do damage. Also I turn it over every 2 or 3 weeks even if it is not started.

I don't flush my 15hp merc due to being on a mooring and it's too heavy, but if you are on a marina berth and have access to fresh water you can put a canvas bag over shaft and fill with fresh water. Have owned 8hp Yamy's in past, most vital (imho) piece of equipment was a pipe cleaner for the salt water outlet.

I have a friend with a 1 yr. Yamaha 8hp, the bearings at the top of the shaft seized, the retailer blamed lack of flushing

Nup.

Besides, fresh water will stuff the bearings just as quickly, if it got in that is.

In fact, putting muffs on the motor and turning on the tap and placing a lot of water pressure on the seals would have greater ability at pushing some water in under the seal. The seals are designed to stop oil from getting out rather than water getting in. As the gearbox gets hot, the pressure builds and oil pushes the seal tighter onto the shafts etc. The danger of water getting in is when the gear case cools and creates a possible suction. However, most seals are "double lipped" to stop water going back in. Some gear cases on larger outboards will have breathing ability in the case. But smaller ones will be closed cases.

When putting an outboard in a boot, Always place the outboard on its side with handle up. That is the best way to stop water going where it should not.

When putting an outboard in a boot, Always place the outboard on its side with handle up. That is the best way to stop water going where it should not.

Wheels, The Yamaha 8hp user manual recommends the other way.

Read the manual for the outboard you are dealing with.

I agree with everybody, wash if you can ( the canvas bag and some fresh water is handy if your on the marina.)

Even a squirt of dish washing liquid is usefull ( or salt away)

If you can't don't lose any sleep over it, just use it often, I also don't worry about getting these small engines serviced its just not economical, but I do change the plugs once a year and change the gear oil occasionally if I have nothing better to do on a rainy afternoon.

Save the money from the servicing for the next outboard.

Archived