Ideas on a first cruiser

spinner

I think you contact the christchurch city council, there is a lady that deals with it. The back row is only good to about 26ft but the front row can handle upto about 33ft. There are normally plenty free, although all might be rented, so you have to track down the people renting the empty ones and see if they want to sublet. Its pretty cheap.. Although we are currently sitting in a marina in Kudat Malaysia that is totally free :)

Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it - it's my fav bay to drop anchor and just chill out, and only a 5 minute ferry ride away it's almost perfect :thumbup:

It is beautiful, but in recent times I understand that there have been quite a few problems with theft/interference. This hasn't been a problem in the past, but the Police have cracked down on boy racers around the Port Hills between Christchurch and Lyttelton where they had been creating a bit of havoc. I understand that Cass Bay had a bit of a problem in that regard......but now the problem has moved further around to diamond harbour where the Police aren't patroling to the same extent. You need to make your own mind up as to the risks or otherwise, but it was enough to put me off the Diamond Harbour option for mooring anyway.

Mate, there have been thefts from everywhere in the last 5 years. Cass Bay has had probably the most incidents including a Cav 32 and a H28 that were stolen but both recovered, Purau, Diamond Harbour, someone even managed to steal a Townsend 38 from the inner harbor. The best bet is to have a engine that is hard to start and wash boards that can't be kicked in. It all goes around in circles, I would say Diamond harbor is no different to anywhere else.

life to short to worry sbout what might happen - and no point worrying when I don't even own a yacht yet :D mind u once I have found the right boat to fall In love with I'm sure ill be do my fair share of worrying

Thanks all for your great advice - I'm still a bit torn between boat types, I'll let you know the out come either way :thumbup: but if any one comes across a boat they think I should look at let me know.

Cheers

Maurauder the most spacious and fastest but the most expensive and probably a tad bouncer for coastal than the lot but still perfectly capable.

MY pic day sails over night etc Maurauder, coastal and cook strait cav32.

Would this mean in you opinion the Maurader would not make a good coastal yacht?

Were they designed more as a harbour racer, seems they hold their price well and are a sought after yacht, although I have never seen one in the flesh they look very similar to many of the others mentioned here.

Although I have spent many hours crawling around yachts pulling wires ( and the odd Ice breaker) I have never really got my head around hull shape and design, despite knowing it will make all the difference when in heavy seas. hope someone can point me in the right direction with this

:thumbup: cheers

Its mostly just a weight thing, the marauder is probably the lightest of the lot so therefore gets thrown around a bit more. Cave 32 is a lot heavier so perhaps more comfortable.

I have a marauder and would take it anywhere is any condition, its a solid, safe boat that handles and performs very well. We got 12kts out of it in flat water with a kite up on sunday.

We cruise with 3 kids no problem.

Great boat.

Cheers for the heads up BooBo - so I guess taking up and down the coast would be no issue in your mind - it makes sense that a lighter boat might get a slightly harder time. but I guess it makes it a little faster in light air as well ? is that correct?

A boat like the Cav is bullet proof but they are slow and have a pinched in stern so not much room aft. I would go with the Marauder for more room in the cockpit and more fun sailing. No boat is much fun in heavy weather especially upwind so the best plan is is to watch the weather forecasts and don't bother trying to go to windward in a gale. With the lighter boats they can generally handle any weather, you just have to reduce sail area sooner. Keep them upright and they will go just as fast or faster most likely.

I can vouch for the fact that you get thrown around more in a lighter boat. At 4.7 ton empty our Davidson 35 is lighter than all the cruisers we meet of the same length including the European production boats. We can sail in light winds when other cruisers are motoring and its perfect up here in Asia, but in the strong stuff on passage we are not sailing the boat at maximum speed because it gets uncomfortable.

I actually think some of the old IOR boats make good short handed cruisers because they are heavy enough to be comfortable and bulletproof, but still sail well over the range of conditions.

For shorthanded coastal sailing around central NZ, especially learning I would choose the Cav style boat. To many people still get caught out in rougher than expected conditions up the coast of the South Island.

Not all heavy cruisers are comfortable in a strong sea. Mine's a ten ton 32 foot double ender that ought to have a wooden mast but someone decided to go Aluminium which makes her very lively in a chop. The huge beam helps this lively action also. The great Marchaj reckons the weight aloft makes yachts more resistant to being overwhelmed by a large sea. I'm actually considering making a wooden mast or maybe making a lead plug to put inside the mast at the top.

Pretty well exactly Erice, except mine is a ferro and built here by Sayers. I think a bit different in the overhangs and the underwater hull shape.

Maybe the Westsails are balasted with the ali mast in mind. Mines more like a ferro racer dinghy, especially when hard on the wind in a good blow, she rips but hang on tight :lol:

post-11360-141887221355.jpg

Hey sorry I wasn't knocking the Maurauder in any way I think they are an excellent boat. My thoughts where if u and/or your family are new to sailing a cav etc might be a bit less powerful/ intimidating than the Maurauder for going coastal. The Maurauder is an extremely capable boat coastal wise in the right hands.

All the boats mentioned are good boats if u buy a Maurauder take a couple of experienced people with you for your first coastal and enjoy :)

Hey sorry I wasn't knocking the Maurauder in any way I think they are an excellent boat. My thoughts where if u and/or your family are new to sailing a cav etc might be a bit less powerful/ intimidating than the Maurauder for going coastal. The Maurauder is an extremely capable boat coastal wise in the right hands.

All the boats mentioned are good boats if u buy a Maurauder take a couple of experienced people with you for your first coastal and enjoy :)

No it's exactly the sort of info I am after sow1ld, given it's easy to buy and hard to sell I want to make an informed purchased and get it write for both me and my family first time round, I understand there will always be compromises but I'd rather live with a few faults I knew about then a headache I never saw coming.

Archived