SS Rigging replacement

Clipper

The logic was lots of swages fail at the bottom where water collects into them. The Norseman type terminals are slightly better at keeping water out. They are also more expensive than swaged terminals, so it was a compromise. IT was pretty easy to replace the stays one at a time like that, with the rig in place.

Thanks. Yep, more expensive the first time, but if/when you have to replace them, only need a new cone, so cheaper! And you can do it yourself, one at a time with the rig in place...

Using stayloc/norseman/kz style mechanical fittings, the biggest gain is in the area of fatigue, and the ability to (given materials and skills) fabricate a new stay in the field. verses swages you would only really save money,if you do all the work yourself. most people that have a rig renewed with mechanical fittings, are really paying for the next owner to have cheaper re-rig (if they do it themselves), as the new rigging they have just fitted to their boat will out-last the current owners time/interest with the boat. most people will turn over their boat before it's time to re-rig again.

Worth noting that in some cases, just the cost if the stayloc alone, can be significantly more than a good quality swage, and the labor to have it swaged on to the wire combined.....

....would like to know a lot more about the Sea rig bottle screw failures.

That is what I have on my boat......"business I know" currently dont sell them due to doubts and also have stopped selling ronstan due to a problem with surface tarnishing on new rigging screws, with know reasonable explanation.

I would be very interested in a response from sea rig.

ronstan due to a problem with surface tarnishing on new rigging screws, with know reasonable explanation.

Tarnish on SST is common and is called "tea staining". Causes can be from a variety of factors, but the actual "tea stain"is a result of iron contamination on the surface. It does not mean the SST is faulty or of poor grade and can be easily cleaned off with any of the SST cleaners.

The causes, well firstly, let me go back a bit to SST and why it is what it is.

SST is a mix of metals, the main component being Iron. But added into the Iron is Chromium, and some small percentages of other metals to form an alloy. Varying amounts and types of additives create an alloy with a specific property making it suitable for a specific job. Chromium is a passivating metal which means It creates a gas (only an atom or so thick)on it's surface as it contacts oxygen and thus "insulates" the surface from further oxidation. Chromium is extremely hard. By polishing (either Mechanical, Acid, or Electrically)the surface of SST, you remove the softer Iron particles at the surface, which leaves a richer Chromium surface. Less Iron or more Chrome results in better protection from both corrosion and scratches.

If iron should come into contact with the surface of the SST, it can oxidize (rust) outside the protection of the chromium layer and this is what is called "Tea Staining". If it becomes bad enough, the Rust can actually stop the chrome layer oxidizing and cause the iron in the SST itself to then rust. The iron or other trace metals can corrode away in microscopic acts that create one form of crevice corrosion. By giving the SST surface a wipe of Acid cleaner, the Iron is removed leaving the Chromium to once again do it's job.

Sources of contamination can be many. Dust in the air can carry Iron particles. Swagging of terminals uses Hardened steel forming die's and these can contaminate the surface. A simple spanner to tighten the turnbuckle and of course, the machine it was made on.

Tea Staining is nothing to worry about as long as you clean it every now and then.

Wheels, I use oxalic acid to clean my stainless. Is that what you mean? I hope so, it's cheap, and really easy!! :D Seems it's what the active ingredient is in many commercial products.

Wheels, I use oxalic acid to clean my stainless.
Yes you can use either Oxalic or Phosphoric Acid. Personally I like Phosphoric, only because it is non-toxic. Both work well for tea staining.
Searig are made by KZ marine, who also make an swageless range of fittings (like norseman). I thought they had sorted out the problems with the Searig rigging screws?

As far as i know they contacted all customers who may have received affected parts and supplied replacements free of charge, likewise with the labor to change the parts if i remember correctly. :clap:

As far as i know they contacted all customers who may have received affected parts and supplied replacements free of charge, likewise with the labor to change the parts if i remember correctly. :clap:

Well that is good news, I do hope that includes me in the land of Oz,

(I havnt heard anything). My sea rig gear is about three to four years old,...

Archived