Which binoculars?

Interested in your opinion on what is hot when it comes to blue water cruising binoculars.

Me likey:

Commander%20XP%207x50%20K.jpg

http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoc ... -xp-7x50-c

30 year guarantee, HD compass for high precision bearings, water proof to 2 or 10m (manufacturer seems unsure about that :D )

Looking at buying the ONE to see me through until my eye-sight is beyond dioptre adjustment.

Experiences? Alternatives?

I have a set of the Steiners but without the compass.

Really good optics and made a big difference in poor light.

However the UV does get to the rubber coating (it goes soft and sticky) and after ten years they look pretty rough.

I'd still buy them again but keep them out of the sun when not in use.

You can't beat the optics of Steiner, but you pay for it too. It really comes down to your needs and what you want to pay. I have a set of the Plastimo auto focus and they do me fine.

Tasco 7x50 Offshore 54

OS54.jpg

Not sure if the above model is still available.

One similar set I used took some serious abuse over at least 12years, lived in a pouch just inside the hatch. Often got wet, used by many passengers, a number that seemed to drop them.

Were not cheap.

Tasco 7x50 Offshore 54

OS54.jpg

One similar set I used took some serious abuse over at least 12years, lived in a pouch just inside the hatch. Often got wet, used by many passengers, a number that seemed to drop them.

Were not cheap.

+1

Imported mine for half the price of what I could get them for in NZ 6 or so years ago. I'm not sure if they are still a current product but you can still get a set off Amazon; reasonable price too @ USD$278

http://www.amazon.com/Tasco-OS541-Shore-7x50-Binoculars/dp/B0001DZ2EK

Thanks for the input everyone!

Interestingly no clear contenders for a winner... but a lot of positive experience with a lot of different models. Food for thought.

Like any self-respecting ship we shall of course have cannons aboard!

Just looking at the two most expensive models: Do you think image stabilization is preferable over a wider field of view and a compass? I find it very nice to be able to locate things quickly (esp.when your on a fast boat :D ) with a wide field and the compass bearing feature seems reeeeeally useful. Unless it has the dipping issues referred to by Mr. Pope. But for that price I expect it to work. Will check with manufacturer though to be sure.

Not sure how much you'd have to fork out for the Steiner's in NZ but over here they're ca. 1000 €

Must consider Tasco now...

Tasco 7x50 Offshore 54

OS54.jpg

Were not cheap.

+1

Imported mine for half the price of what I could get them for in NZ 6 or so years ago. I'm not sure if they are still a current product but you can still get a set off Amazon; reasonable price too @ USD$278

http://www.amazon.com/Tasco-OS541-Shore-7x50-Binoculars/dp/B0001DZ2EK

Price seems great! Would like to compare them against the Steiners in real life. Online shopping just doesn't cut it for some items.

You can't beat the optics of Steiner, but you pay for it too. It really comes down to your needs and what you want to pay. I have a set of the Plastimo auto focus and they do me fine.

You pay for Steiner but you get something in return.

The wide spread of applications and differing needs explains the wide range of suggestions I guess

:wink:

Wouldn't want to pay for a pair of Steiner's to sail our dinghy around the lake of course. Let alone carry binoculars...

Also noticed that the Steiner has full rubber armouring compared to the non-slip strips of the Tasco making it more husband-proof. The 30 year guarantee plays in the same direction :think:

Archived