BEP Amp Meter

Brooker

Just wondering if any body has the BEP DCSM amp hour meter, its the relativley new square one.

Similar to the old one but now its square.

Or if there is any other suitable options for keeping an eye on batteries.

Just about to buy one but I thought I might ask around first

I've got the old one. It's great. It does get out of sync occasionally if you don't recharge the batteries enough (when charge rate drops down under set point it resets to "fully charged". Not sure what others are around, but I've really like mine! 3 battery banks, House, Start, Radio. Only Limitation is it only records capacity use on house bank...Otherwise Great.

No point getting the new one over the old one unless you want tank monitoring and the other extra features really. A dc meter does not need to be colour, it also does not need to be bigger than the old one was, further more, the new ones auto scroll is a pain, the old one displayed the screen you chose until you changed it, simple. The old one is also easier to follow and get to the screen you want. Sure the new one measures start bank capacity but that really is almost irrelevant. It starts the motor, gets charged. Sits there full. Wow. Also, it will tell you the amp hour capacity of a cca rated battery. Hmmm. Furthermore, the old one os cheaper. Need more reasons? BEP sold out of the old ones a couple of months ago I believe, if you want one and cant find one I can give you the email of the place that brought the last of BEP's stock.

The BEP units are good and will suit the needs of many. But they are basic in how they work. They simply count out the current drawn and count the current supplied back and leave you with the Sum. But they don't do complicated processing. That is fine for 90% of people. But if you want greater knowledge and control of the battery bank, then look for the "Heart Interface Link" systems. These use complex calculations to give greater accuracy to what is really happening in the bank. I can not rave enough about these "Link" displays. The units can also operate and control their respective Inverter/Charger units also and make Inverter/charging completely automated on board. The Link 2000R also turns the Alternator into a smart charger. Very clever units and were originally designed by a friend of mine, that basically wrote the book on Batteries and Charging. In the US, Heart Interface was bought by Xantrex, but the genuine Heart Interface Inverter/charger units are still sold as that name.

I am not sure who supplies these in NZ, but I know someone does because I have seen them at the Boat show one year.

This time wheels, I have to disagree. The bep unit is not quite that simple. It uses peukerts exponent to calculate battery remaining capacity, its not quite just out and in. there are several settable parameters. It is more simple than some though, as you correctly state.

Specs are here. http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu- ... dc-monitor

Archived