How do you climb your Mast ?

idlerboat

Hi all, I am curious about how you climb your mast.

Do you get someone else to do it for you ?

Regardless how did you or they do it ?

In most cases the mast climber is hauled up in a bosuns chair by someone on a winch using a halyard.

Now I am not asking this question as a newbie to mast climbing, I have done it countless times in a variety of ways on differant boats.

What I am curious about is...

Do you go up on a single line ?

Do you go up on a rope to wire halyard ?

Have you used gear that is not Marine (like rock climbing, or industrial) ?

Have you gone up at sea ?

And have you gone up solo ?

This last question is of great interest to me.

If you have, how did you do it ? Did you use SRT ?...(which is single rope technique )...and if you did, did you use prussik loops or ally assenders ?

I am not selling anything or fishing for business.

My boat is set up for solo sailing, even though we always have 2.5 crew. The reason being that the other 1.5, just may not be available to do the grunt work.

(or any work).

And on truely solo voyage you dont have a lot of choices.

To explain this thinking further, that if you can do it safely with one, then it only gets better and easier, the more crew you have.

I have always found that their are gems of practicality out there...but you have to ask . :)

...yep....a perfect first post.

Unlike my previous argument with KM, about more is better, in this case, I would like to suggest the problem with mast steps.

Halyard wrap.

Now there is two normal types of mast steps. The first is fixed. Either ally bent straps or cast base with ally straps, either way they are permenant, on most cruising boats, hayard catching is a huge problem. This is mitigated by light lines running from the step to the stays. OR a single light line tied down the outside of all the mast steps.

The second is folding mast steps, these so often get filcked and open. This then means that someone has to go up the mast to close them.

Regardless, would you climb a mast, even with mast steps without rope back up ?

See it gets a bit murky from here...or plain dangerous.

I am not taking sides, but want to be a devils addvocate no matter what solution people come up with...

Hope you understand.

Hi IB, well, yes to all of them! Winched up in Bosuns chair, single rope, double rope, single handed, climbing gear, prussicks, and ascenders. Climbed, manually winched, and electric (anchor) winch.

As on Island Time I'm normally single or short handed, I have now fitted folding steps, right to the masthead. I used to have them only to the first spreaders, but after having to spend quite some time at the masthead, at sea solo, I decided to fit them the rest of the way. The only way to get above the masthead comfortably (relatively) is to have two good steps about 1m from the top. I'd fit those even without the others. I've had occasional halyard wraps, but its been easy enough to flick off. Occasionally one step will open, and you have to go up and close it. Usually if it was not closed properly last time it was used. Its now no issue to go up, and, if single handed, I go up without a rope. Use a rope for safety if there is someone available to handle it.

Without steps, Prussiks work well. I prefer the French one, as it does not bind so often. Standing in the loops is very uncomfortable after a while, and you have to do that to work on the masthead. Lower is no prob, sit in the chair.

I've also found that the climbing harness is good for short trips, checking stuff, and for a safety line. It feels more secure than a chair, esp at sea, but its not as comfortable and digs in after a while...

Just my 2c worth!

We had folders to the second spreader on a three spreader plus jumper mast

The folders were fine but would rattle a little when it was really blowing.

A small dob of silicon gunk, allowed to dry, at the base of each one stopped that.

I don't think any came open on their own after that fix.

Anywhere above that always two lines and a chair.

Just tried my new chest and foot ascender set up. (Used to do all my climbing with prussik knots (tree surgery back in the old days), but this was easy as...and very fast. Will put a twin pair of mast steps at the mast head though.

Changing over to a fig 8 abseiling device for decending "on rope" was a bit tricky at first, but after a bit of practice and a slight change of gear layout was not to bad. Super easy though by using a second halyard for decending. (Dont have to worry about taking the tension off the "up" halyard. Even better is that even when coming down, I can just clip the hand asscender back on at any point to give me two line safety and locked off. Just stand up in the foot loop, pull the fig 8 rope tight, release the asscender and down we go again. Nice !

Also great gear that makes the cost of "marine" gear shamefull....

I like this stuff, because I dont have to worry about whoever is on the ground for my life !!

I tie my own ropes off and thats it.

Nothing like a novice who overwraps a winchdrum on your decent to get the heart racing.

Archived