Trailer-Sailers

Looking at few trailer-sailers floating about at present.

Concerned about towing weights of them, which one would be the lightest to tow with 2L Car (4wd though)? Can't find anything online re: weights.

Hartley 16, Noelex (prob 22), Tasman 20, Elliot 5.9, Lidgard 18, Magnum 21.

Won't be going up mountains, but don't want to feel like I'm pulling a ship anchor!

Any experiences/advice welcome. :thumbup:

My FF gets towed in behind the Honda Euro, and it is if it is not even there, mind you would be no more than 500kg with trailer, have towed 5.9 a short distance, not too many probs but noticed the extra weight, I think 2.0lt may be aksing too much of your mini

Knot to twist your question around FP but that list covers a pretty wide range of design styles, ages, construction types and level of interior comfort. I think I would be narrowing it down a bit based on what you intend to do with the boat.

Towed a E5.9 all over the place for several years with a Honda Euro, excellent car and no problems (from memory boat is 580kg, trailer I guess is 200-300kg). Never had a problem hauling out on the boat ramps (front wheel drive).

The 5.9's are towed with anything from smaller family cars (e,g, old Odyssey, Mazda 626) to Nissan Patrols and other 4WDs - more a case of what vehicle the owner already has. A reasonably modern 2.0 litre would be fine. Just need to check towbar specs.

Cheers

Biggest thing to look at is tow capacity - braked and non braked for the car and the towbar that is fitted.

I drive a 300HP AWD Volvo that weighs about 1800kg and has the biggest brakes in the world but braked tow capacity is only 900kg so it wont even look at towing an E7.4 on the road. Fine for across the Westhaven carpark but no further....

A lot of the tow-bars fitted have pretty low ratings.

Checked towball, 500kg unbraked and 1000kg (1t in old money) braked, So looks like i'm winnning against a bohemoth volvo!

Ideally looking for something with squabs, bare beams ain't comfy! More comfort than actual speed, will only cause spillages... :wink:

May retrofit with carbon bits to lighten ha-ha! "Splintering death PT"

My FF gets towed in behind the Honda Euro, and it is if it is not even there, mind you would be no more than 500kg with trailer, have towed 5.9 a short distance, not too many probs but noticed the extra weight, I think 2.0lt may be aksing too much of your mini

Haven't heard of many 2L minis, although might be a fun project!

Most of the T-sailers I've seen hover around 1t with no water onboard...

might consider brakes...friend at pinto trailers... (it's who you know !! )

Haven't heard of many 2L minis, although might be a fun project!

This is true, but what may be fun is the John Cooper Works

0-100km in 6.5 sec

Top speed 238 Km/h

Max torque 26Nm at 1850 - 5600 rpm

all that relates to a little somker :thumbup:

This is true, but what may be fun is the John Cooper Works

0-100km in 6.5 sec

Top speed 238 Km/h

Max torque 26Nm at 1850 - 5600 rpm

all that relates to a little somker :thumbup:

Hmmm yup heard of the JCW Minis, although performance would be somewhat blunted with a 1t boat on the back and JCW minis have hard suspension so safely say they would be first to go come any weight on ball. :think:

Biggest thing to look at is tow capacity - braked and non braked for the car and the towbar that is fitted.

I drive a 300HP AWD Volvo that weighs about 1800kg and has the biggest brakes in the world but braked tow capacity is only 900kg so it wont even look at towing an E7.4 on the road. Fine for across the Westhaven carpark but no further....

A lot of the tow-bars fitted have pretty low ratings.

No surprises what you have on the ball of your tractor :lol: :lol:

Farmers in UK used to use Volvos (tax free) to transport the young stock in the cages hehe :twisted:

:lol:

Guest Dry Reach

FP.

you may want to consider the following...

If you buy a Hartley 16 you will be probably towing a shitter with a crap heavy steel trailer and as such will need a v12 lambrogini to offset the ugly boat and crap trailor and thus look cool. (they will be looking at your car and not the shitter!

if you choose a Nosex 22 you could get away with the boring "thumb print in the head" type family wagon and most of the trailers were well made and a lot were alloy. Also the narrower boat travels well behind the boring "famdamily saloon" car!... but remeber you will never have sex again!

As for the lidgard and Magnum!... well in buying a maverick you will need sometrhing like a Triumph toledo to offset the stupidity of owning such dogs. in other words a double negative equals a positive!

finally. The good old E5.9. With this you are buying something that is modern looking goes well and has as much room below as the others for abour the same weight. because it looks good you can tow it with anything because the plebs will not be looking at you or your car.!

Also there are some good deals around at the Mo!

soooo... decision made!...

unless of course you look at a ross 780, or a magic 25 (25 foot long and accomodation for only your sails and rudder) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try a 6.7 Joker, they are water ballasted so tow weight is lower than most

Ron Given design

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/CustomSite ... stomID=519

It's good to see the matched the name of the boat to it's looks :lol: :lol:

I'm with DR 5.9 maybe a great boat for this, easier to get a crew together on a boat that don't look like it was built in the yard by the ol man for your mother and her knitting mates to play with :lol: :lol: :lol:

FP.

you may want to consider the following...

If you buy a Hartley 16 you will be probably towing a shitter with a crap heavy steel trailer and as such will need a v12 lambrogini to offset the ugly boat and crap trailor and thus look cool. (they will be looking at your car and not the shitter!

if you choose a Nosex 22 you could get away with the boring "thumb print in the head" type family wagon and most of the trailers were well made and a lot were alloy. Also the narrower boat travels well behind the boring "famdamily saloon" car!... but remeber you will never have sex again!

As for the lidgard and Magnum!... well in buying a maverick you will need sometrhing like a Triumph toledo to offset the stupidity of owning such dogs. in other words a double negative equals a positive!

finally. The good old E5.9. With this you are buying something that is modern looking goes well and has as much room below as the others for abour the same weight. because it looks good you can tow it with anything because the plebs will not be looking at you or your car.!

Also there are some good deals around at the Mo!

soooo... decision made!...

unless of course you look at a ross 780, or a magic 25 (25 foot long and accomodation for only your sails and rudder) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm DR, didn't mention a tasman 20?

No don't know about you, put elli 5.9 looks a bit bare and only room for sail storage up front...see

I'm going to create a sh*tstorm now!! :lol: :lol:

post-10449-141887161055.jpg

post-10449-141887161057.jpg

VS

To raise you one sh*tstorm further, the price of an E5.9 is very close to an entry-level keeler at the moment (Raven 26). Don't get me wrong, I think 5.9s are bloody excellent and I realise a keeler is a completely different package. And a Raven probably gets a very low score on DR's no-sex scale. But if your ambitions were around, for example, you and your good lady cruising to Kawau or the Barrier, finding a quiet anchorage, nice meal, comfortable night's sleep, usable toilet...despite what DR says you might get actual sex and she might be willing to come cruising with you more than once.

I think if an elli 5.9 had some interior photos like that of the Tasman I might be swayed...will keep up the hunt as class website doesn't have any!

Squabs can be modernised and tidied up :wink:

Tasman 20 :think:

With a general tidy up, and modernising...could look good.

Yawn.... Good bloody hand grenade to modernise it :lol: :lol: :lol:

oopps did that come out aloud :silent:

I'm yet to see anyone try it on F15! :lol: :lol:

If the younger generation try it in cars then a 20ft boat should be like a king-sized bed. :silent:

lord did that come out of my mouth :silent: :silent:

Archived