America's Cup - Race 9 & 10

Mothership

Race 10 Performance Data

• Course: 5 Legs/10.02 nautical miles

• Elapsed Time: ETNZ – 22:00, OTUSA – 22:16

• Delta: ETNZ +:16

• Total distance sailed: ETNZ – 11.8 NM, OTUSA – 11.7 NM

• Average Speed: ETNZ – 32.25 knots (37 mph), OTUSA – 31.76 knots (36 mph)

• Top Speed: ETNZ – 43.01 knots (49 mph), OTUSA – 44.98 knots (52 mph)

• Windspeed: Average – 18.3 knots, Peak – 22.3 knots

• Number of Tacks/Jibes: ETNZ – 7/7, OTUSA – 7/7

At the start of the day oracle needed to win 3 x more races that ETNZ, at the end of the day they need 4 x more race wins than ETNZ to retain the cup.

I would call this a win.

Dunno Booboo, till you're over the line for win 9 it's all in the air still.

These things can go PHUT! at any time, they're just that highly strung.

Damn things make a supermodel look low maintenance if you ask me.

Fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any stats on the average upwind speed and average downwind speed of Oracle vs ETNZ?

Would be interesting to see. It seemed like we were quicker downwind, but only marginally. Upwind they appear to have a slight edge in the heavier breeze.

OK I found the race stats for race 10 here http://noticeboard.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/actv/AC13/13091510_acstats.pdf

Really interesting, shows that Oracle is marginally quicker upwind (by 0.51kts on average) but quite a bit slower downwind (by 1.84 kts on the 1st run and 1.78kts on the second run).

If you look at the times - half the time is spent going upwind and half the time is spent going downwind (excluding the reaching legs).

NZL lost 11.6 seconds on the upwind leg ... I wonder what the VMG stats are, could Oracle be also higher as well as faster upwind? Or are we slightly higher downwind even though we are almost 2 knots faster, so the VMG to us downwind is not as much as the absolute speeds show.

I hope that NZL can keep improving their speed too..... can't wait for the next race! :D

Archived