Filling and fairing

madyottie

Here's one (or two) for the experts, this time I'll do what I'm told!

I'm doing a bare-wood repaint of an old P class for my daughter. the sides and deck are fine under the paint, but the bottom is very flaky and pitted.

Are there any paints that have gap-filling properties that can save me a lot of filling and sanding? Or do I take up shares in a Polyester / Vinylester bog company?

Most of the damage looks to be within the top laminate of the ply, so only 1 or 2 mm deep, and similar width, but up to a few cm long with the grain.

And the second question...

What's the best way to remove old paint from alloy fittings? this thing has about 3mm thick of paint over the chainplates etc, and I'd like to make them all pretty and shiny for her.

Seven year olds can be SOO demanding!

i've always used paint stripper gel for removing old paint from fittings

something like this from mitre 10, polystrippa etc

362032lrg.jpg

brush it on pretty thick

wait about 30sec until the paint bubbles

then scrape it off with a metal scraper

the last stuff to come off, in cruves etc, can be a bit hard with a scraper so use stainless steel wool for that and maybe wear rubber gloves

finally give everything a good rinse

Firstly, do not even think about using polyester or vinylester bog etc. Epoxy is the only way to go. I have found that west system is good, with lightweight filler/fairing powder. Most experts use micro balloons, ( the reddish/purple powder) which are part of the west system materials. This type of filler is very easily sanded, preferably with a long sanding board. For the paint, decide in advance whether you are using 2 pot, or single pot. 2 pot is more expensive, and will produce a much harder finish. Single pot systems are usually easier to apply, and more forgiving. Systems from any of the leading manufacturers include relatively easy sanding undercoats. The key is to get the surface nice & fair with the epoxy lightweight fairing mixture. It helps to use a wide (100mm plus) flexible blade to apply the filler. Then sand with long board, and apply the easy sand primer & undercoat, sanding back again with a long board, between coats. Only put the top coats on when you have a really smooth undercoat surface. Finally, the fittings that are painted over should be stainless steel. If they are alloy, they are likely to be seriously corroded, and will probably need replacing. Assuming they are stainless, best to take them off, strip paint, and polish , fine paint cutter will work.

Re the previous entry, water blaster is unlikely to be helpful. Ordinary household ones will just clean the surface. A serious one capable of paint stripping will probably remove some of the outer layer of ply as well, and then you will have serious repair job on your hands.

I thought it was obvious to take the fittings off before blasting with water. It sounds to me like the ply is checking so maybe consider dousing with everdure before filling to stabilise the ply.

Archived