So, the Ipad topic again...

John B

I will second Ab's comment above

The other thing I find sailing on different yachts around the place, it's as easy as I take my iPad and I have my office and my nav center

I've got the 3G 32G, have all my music, about 2000 photos etc and only 5.8G left, had it for 2 1/2 years now.

I should prob clean some out but it's still working fine

If I was start again I'd go with the the largest available

Except it does not cover the issue of one of the more important features of a plotter. Control of other boat devices - like AP, Boat GPS programming, Radar and other overlays. As I said before, this can be overcome with a nmea to WiFi server. PM me if you want details, or look on my site.

Other issues with tablets are - ruggedness (they can often be left in places where they are vulnerable), watertightness, need to charge etc.

I use a nexus 7, android 4.3, navionics. But it is not, and will never be my primary nav device. It is useful if going on someone else's boat!

Matt

Thanks guys, all good comments.

IT, as I mentioned originally its definitely a secondary device for me, and you put your finger on the portability aspect of getting on another boat with it. and then checking the net at the airport etc etc as well as having a useful independent chartplotter in a bag..

How do you handle the gps aspect with the nexus when you're away from your boat and on another, do you carry a seperate gps dongle thing and plug it in?

I still have this massive hangup with the Ipad, and that's the lack of a usb port. Bluetooth is of variable reliability and usually trouble in my experience. so far.So I am listening about the alternatives.

Incidentally , and harping on with the redundancy/ backup thing, I have a useful chartplotter already, but my wishlist would include a dedicated laptop with open cpn and weatherfax etc in the nav station as you recommend, and this backup on backup tablet plotter portable browser we're talking about here.

regarding Ipad, looking at a couple of remarks above and the video, its seeming like the best option really would be to go the extra and get that latest unit with 3g and more capacity.

Which brings up a point. How do you guys get on with charging these devices aboard? How long do they run before needing a charge? Can they be left on a charger while in use? How many amps do they draw when charging?

John, my Nexus 7 is way cheaper than an Ipad, has built in WIFI AND GPS, but no 3g. If memory serves it's worth a bit under $300 (with 32GB) off Trademe, but new. So it's almost a disposable unit! Runs about a day, needs charging every day (or when off watch) if you use it all the time...

The charger that comes with it is 2A at 5v, USB. It will charge off any usb supply when powered off.

Island Time's nav system, for anyone interested is;

A furuno GP32 GPS fixed to the cockpit instrument panel

An ACR AIS (Currenlty Faulty, and on the list to be replaced)

A Simrad AP24 Autopilot (provides heading sensor from a RC42 rate gyro, for Radar overlays and plotter) with AP control via wireless

Simrad IS15 Instruments

Lowrance Broadband 3g Radar Dome (Dome only, NO SCREEN)

Interphase Probe fwd scanning sonar (Needs new Transducer)

Pactor 111 and HF radio

VHF with DSC

All this is interfaced via a 6 port Serial -USB hub, except the Radar which is Ethernet

and Connected to a laptop below, running Opencpn, with AIS, Radar, weather overlays, pilot charts etc

The laptop is connected to an external screen at the helm, a 15" waterproof sunlight viewable unit.

Of course we also have the nexus 7 as a standalone unit, and a handheld GPS, + normally 2 other GPS cellphones, one being waterproof.

The entire system is probably about 9K to replace. You could spend that on a 15" waterproof plotter for the cockpit alone.

The laptop runs the boat. All the Nav stuff of course, plus email, office apps, scanned manuals, 1TB of movies (on external HDD), about a week of music, also have for offshore a Printer/Scanner/Copier. The cockpit screen inverts for watching movies outside at anchor, and the audio goes to the boat stereo...

The things you do when you live aboard for a few years!!

Happy for anyone who would like to have a look at it, or discuss how it all fits together, to send me a PM.

Cheers

Matt

John B I can't even see the amp meter needle move when I plug my iPad in.

Your taking about a backup to a backup, but you will end up using it as your goto system. You could run it full time to steer to if required but it would be best plugged in in this event.

I think the biggest advantage is entering a bay, harbour or pass, your able to leave the main plotter as is and then zoom in and out on the iPad to see the bigger/smaller picture and if your on someone else's boat they often aren't happy with you playing with the plotter as the drive between rocks etc.

Coming across the pacific we would often have two iPads a Chartploter and a paper chart in the cockpit as we entered places

I usually plug mine in when ever I'm not using it (asleep) so then it's ready to go.

I've had a few friends buy one since seeing mine and everyone says why didn't i do this sooner.

The biggest advantage is having one you can see at the helm! Once you have had this, you won't go back.

For me the issue with the tablet is you have to hold it (sometimes you need both hands), where to put it when not looking at it (but keeping it close) and it's vulnerability to weather conditions. Hence the waterproof cockpit screen on the binnacle on Island Time. But more cost of course...

Matt

Archived