Remove propshaft?

chic014

Hi all,

My yacht formerly had an inboard. That is gone and I currently run an outboard on a bracket.

However I still have the propshaft and fixed prop. Inboard end of propshaft has been lashed up temporarily so it can't spin. I don't really fancy dragging a prop around the ocean though so what are my options?

A. Remove propshaft, strut and prop and fill hole.

B. Remove prop and,leave propshaft.

c. Do nothing.

I think it might be to leave it there so someone could put an inboard back if they wanted?

Any other ideas?

cheers

B. Remove prop and,leave propshaft.

Would be the quickest, but make sure the shaft cannot move / work its way out.

When I did it I ended up doing option A as I had the boat on the hard for a long time.

I guess it depends on what the boat is, but I don't think having an outboard is going to put future owners off. I would go with Finelines advice and remove shaft, along with all the bits and bung up the hole. Just go with the Outboard as mode of propulsion.

You've not said what the boat is, but assuming a keel boat then leave the shaft in place and keep the prop. At some point you'll wish to sell the boat, and having the shaft in place gives the new owner a far simper option to install a motor. I wont get into the inboard vs outboard comparison, but just accept most people prefer inboards. Having a shaft sitting there not turning doesn't create issues for you in the mean time. Any advantage you have when it comes time to sell your boat are worthwhile.

I had a 26 ft boat with an inboard. The inboard was crap so I installed a 15hp outboard. Best decision ever.

I removed the shaft and sealed the hole. The boat sold for 16k so no one would install an inboard again.

Just commit to the outboard and seal the hole (if it's a small boat)

Archived