Securing the boat?

tonz76

Hi can anyone recommend the best way of securing the drop boards on a boat. I had a padlock on when they broke in which was cut with bolt cutters. I suppose if they wanted they could have just booted in the drop boards. Just wondered what other methods people use and also what to do with the outboard when not in use. Maybe just remove it!

I think you have it right they could have just booted them in (and often do) if you had better locks.

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do definitely taking the outboard away is a good idea or at least storing it out of sight if that is not practical.

Talk to and get to know people on your neighbouring boats is also a good idea so they can keep an eye out.

A padlock is for keeping honest people out. If someone really wants in, there is little you can do, apart from making all sorts of things so as they can not get at the padlock. CRA has security chain that you can not cut with bolt cutters, but that is probably something you can not easily fit to wash boards.

Years ago, it was the 2nd weekend of the Feltex, we left the boat at Westhaven and drove back to Whangarei for the week. Plan was to meet back down there Friday night. I got a ride back to Auckland with a mate. Walked down to the boat to find it still locked up. Went to the Pons for a couple of hours, came back and it was still locked up.

Ended up removing the bar out of the hinge on the forward hatch and opened it backwards then put the hatch back together again.

Next morning the others arrived, unlocked the boat to find me sound asleep inside. Had them scratching their heads for a while.

I had an outboard taken off my boat earlier in the year, am thinking about putting an alarm on her with a nasty big siren... she isn't far from a cop shop, you never know your luck they might catch some one breaking into her...

also thinking about putting a sign on her with the effect that' this vessel is under surveillance, you could have a gun sight trained on you now".....

Not sure how legal that is, but think the pricks might get the message... :)

I've got the same problem as I'm taking her to tauranga onto a mooring. Nearly ready to go cruising!! I thought a stainless cover over the washboards that screwed into place with some of those weird sort of screw heads that one never has a bit for. Have not tried to design anything yet but thinking of it.

Archived