Timber for tiller

vic008

Just the tiller? or including the rudder??

Anything really. I suggest you laminate it for strength and stability. Mahogany used to be common. Teak, Cedar, Oregon if you can find some clean stuff. You could even laminate a darker timber like Mahogany, alternating with a lighter timber like the Cedar or Oregon or White Pine for effect.

What sort of yacht is it? I like the idea of a solid timber with marine ply laminated to the outside for toughness and to prevent any splitting. If its a big heavy yacht go for an Oz hardwood if light weight is a concern maybe western red cedar or maybe totara which can be had from trademe in big lumps. Clear or nearly clear macrocarpa may be ok also. Ply is not really stiff so some solid timber laminated into the tiller will add stiffness if using ply. Hit it with a good coat of everdure.

I made an interesting discovery after stripping heaps of paint of my old tiller . Its laminated alternating light-dark solid wood. 7 laminates for total 50mm thick at stock end and 25mm at thin end. The laminates don't "run out" but have been individually tapered from 7mm to 3.5 mm. What a job. Probably done by hand plane as well.

quote="rossd"]I made an interesting discovery after stripping heaps of paint of my old tiller . Its laminated alternating light-dark solid wood. 7 laminates for total 50mm thick at stock end and 25mm at thin end. The laminates don't "run out" but have been individually tapered from 7mm to 3.5 mm. What a job. Probably done by hand plane as well.

Worth varnishing perhaps??

Archived