We should be more grateful maybe

We have some Swedes in town and with Otto took the dad fishing. While Ottos fish guiding skills need serious work :twisted: :lol: we did catch a few marginal snapper and Mr Swede got a real nice rat Kingi short of legal by 30mm odd.

Mr Swede pulls the fish in and the eyes light up. They love fish and food (heel massive eaters) so you could see the Kingi was being eaten while we were getting it off the hook. Much to Mr Swedes surprise once we got a photo of it with him we said no chuck it back. WTF (whatever that is in Swedish) why? Sorry dude to small chuck it back.

He's been pinging the team back home saying look how lucky we are we think a very nice 660mm fish is too small to keep, knot to mention chucking back the 27-30mm snappers also.

Next time someone says sorry dude too small just remember that in parts of the world where they didn't do that, what we throw back is regarded as big by them.

We hooked one of those, but fortunately didn't get it near the boat. Unfortunately that was our fishing experience over Xmas - did anyone else do as poorly?

Yep, struggled for snapper, kawhai saw a couple of marko's and there's always a bronzy around so decided one of these would fill the smoker. Just need a small one though and someone to hold the leader while I grab it.

Now where's KM gone, should be able to convince him.

The snapper are everywhere in the Gulf at the moment. Plenty out at the Barrier as well. Try near where the birds are working in the Horn rock, Broken Island, Whangaparapara, Pigeon rocks area if you are lucky enough to still be out there

For what its worth the scallops are in great nick at the Mercury's and my cray spots at the Barrier are as well stocked as they have been for the 30 years I've been diving them.

I used to rod fish but dont anymore I jump over the side with a spear gun much more productive just before xmas in the abel tasman 3 moki over 500 long 3 terehiki and 1 blue cod in under an hour.

" ..and there was the GREAT WHITE SHAAAAARRR...." :twisted:

Archived