Historical weather data for Auckland/Northland

Zoe

Hi all, I'm writing a story about the statistical likelihood of a SE/SWer at Labour Weekend for the Coastal and wonder if anybody could please point me in the direction of good data?

Zoe

Wouldn't it be great - two years in a row, this time bending for the last leg in from the Brett. :thumbup:

Will be interesting to see what comes up, certainly seem to recall a lot more beats in the very early years and since then - a couple of years ago being the notable exception - a bag ride of some description seems to have been on offer most of the time.

To get back to the topic, with Predictwind having been a sponsor of the CC in the past, does that mean there would be some expectation of having first crack at the answer for this article or have you already checked out that option?

Interesting. Who's done a few of those races and can remember what the past ones were like?? I used to be part of a big Youth event in Wellington and would travel over the Friday of every Queens Birthday Weekend. I did it for years and every year we would have a big storm and more often than not, Ferry's would have to stop sailing at some point over that weekend. One year we were the last Ferry to sail for three days and I have never seen Sea's like that again. Nor the screaming noise of the wind, which was just something else. But anyway, it was almost clockwork. As clockwork as the weather can be anyway. Every QB it was nasty. I can only remember one year it wasn't, which was recent, like maybe one or two years back, that we didn't have something really nasty. This last QB, it was nasty on the Monday. So even then, it was only a couple of days out. Hmmm, wonder if leap year had anything to do with it :wink:

Another weather point I aften discuss with people, it seems in March (and I have never thought of exactly when in March) we get one cold front through that brings snow around the Hills. We have our best weather from end of Jan, especially Feb and then March through to may is stunning, mild and often blue skies day after day. But at some point in March, we get a whamy, then it clears up and although a big drop in temps, we get the big long still patches of weather till close to the Shortest day. Then Winter hits here after the Shortest day.

I used to be part of a big Youth event in Wellington and would travel over the Friday of every Queens Birthday Weekend. I did it for years and every year we would have a big storm and more often than not, Ferry's would have to stop sailing at some point over that weekend.

S**T you can remember when the ferries 'sailed'!

(sorry - just couldn't resist!)

Guest Dry Reach

TNZ's weather guru Clouds Banham is the man, and is happy to share all his knowledge and data for a nice bottle of wine.

He is very accurate and a great guy who, when in Auckland, is happy to share his knowledge.

He shared 2 hours of his time with me and my crew back in 2004 and i learnt more in one hour than weeks of surfing the net, reading books, and analysing things like wind data records from Bean Rock for the previous 5 years.

While we were with him he was getting emails from people all over the world asking for best routes across the atlantic, best time to leave so and so port, and providing info to superyacht skipper as to the best time for delivery trips...

He is the Guru :thumbup: and a bloody nice guy.

Thanks heaps guys, great advice! Stay tuned for the story. (Yep I've contacted Predictwind and a couple of others, and Clouds is a great idea. Will see how much space I have.)

He shared 2 hours of his time with me and my crew back in 2004 and i learnt more in one hour than weeks of surfing the net, reading books, and analysing things like wind data records from Bean Rock for the previous 5 years.

So what did you do for the other hour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Dry Reach

So what did you do for the other hour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My crew was female but no nothing happened :D

One hour of talking interupted by about one hour of watchin Clouds talk to the world on two laptops.

I still have all the data on how to read the weather patterns and "Whats going to happen" for the Gulf.

Even simple things like the effect of a Morning low tide on the Manakau and how the sand heats up and sucks the South westerly of the west coast and in to the harbour (during summer) where so well explained. Also the "clocking of the breeze (left or right) depending on the tide, land temp, and the time of day (sun placement) was interesting.

Argh! I am getting seriously frustrated! Are there any database experts out there who might be able to help me put a query into the NIWA database? It's free for the public to use but requires expertise completely outside of what I will ever understand!

If you can volunteer a bit of time for the CC on my behalf, I'll send you the details. My email is zoe@wildemedia.co.nz.

Many thanks!

Zoe

Archived