Compulsory Crew Membership - What Do You Think?

grantmc

I've just had it suggested to me that one way of getting crews to join Clubs would be for the Clubs to recognise the crews efforts and hard work, something many never do.

On pondering that I think I have to agree. Crews are often the forgotten heros.

I think the whole thing is a crock of ......

what does it get you ? cheaper drinks at one club yes but really what else ?

The clubs need to see the other clubs as friends and not fows, for example some clubs welcome everyone and we all pay the same prices, and after racing we go to the club.

some don't, and people choose to go around the corner to the local watering hole.

If clubs are running a joint event, why not treat the other clubs members to the same benefits etc as your own members for the day.

for example with gliding we belong to a club and have a GNZ ( comparable to YNZ ) membership as part of it, this means I am nationally recognised, and internationally. we get a flash mag as well ( not unlike a few yacht clubs ).

So far ever other gliding club I have been to I have been welcomed as one of the cubs own members

a few clubs could learn a lot from this attitude imho

I think the whole thing is a crock of ......

what does it get you ? cheaper drinks at one club yes but really what else ?

The clubs need to see the other clubs as friends and not fows, for example some clubs welcome everyone and we all pay the same prices, and after racing we go to the club.

some don't, and people choose to go around the corner to the local watering hole.

If clubs are running a joint event, why not treat the other clubs members to the same benefits etc as your own members for the day.

for example with gliding we belong to a club and have a GNZ ( comparable to YNZ ) membership as part of it, this means I am nationally recognised, and internationally. we get a flash mag as well ( not unlike a few yacht clubs ).

So far ever other gliding club I have been to I have been welcomed as one of the cubs own members

a few clubs could learn a lot from this attitude imho

Nice :D

During the AC a mate of mine went to a local club (north west of the bridge) to watch the racing and see if boating was something he would enjoy. some old official told him he could not come in if he was not a member.

He left shaking his head :crazy: .

He went along to see what yacht club "life' was like and to see if it was worth joining.

He joined the local squash club instead.

During the AC a mate of mine went to a local club (north west of the bridge) to watch the racing and see if boating was something he would enjoy. some old official told him he could not come in if he was not a member.

He left shaking his head :crazy: .

He went along to see what yacht club "life' was like and to see if it was worth joining.

He joined the local squash club instead.

Yea I couldn't believe it, I turned up at Wimbledon Tennis Club in the UK one time when they had some big fancy annual event going on and they wouldn't let me in to see what all the fuss was about!

Well that was my tennis career over... got into sailing instead!

-- For those not quite onto it the above is a made up story to illustrate a point.

Tennis clubs can be picky and choosy. doesn't cost too much to buy a racquet.

Yacht Clubs need all the support they can get.

Close the doors on one interested person, loose 10 members.

Clubs with that attitude can go rot. Do no good for anyone, not even their members. But perhaps the old guard can't see past the edge of their sherry classes???

Typo intentional.

I have no problem with requiring crew to be a member of "A" yacht club. I do not agree with those clubs who require membership of that club. Many sailors travel around, sail at various places, it's unrealistic to expect them to join every club.

That being said, as a member of Mana Cruising Club (NOT affiliated to YNZ) i was welcomed at virtually every yacht club I went to internationally....

Clubs with that attitude can go rot. Do no good for anyone, not even their members. But perhaps the old guard can't see past the edge of their sherry classes???

I was there, people were falling out the doors, 2 TV crews broardcasting, Marcus Lush had set up his radio breakfast show up in the balcony and if you didn't get there for 6.30 seats were rare.

Mates who were not members but regulars got in with no issues at all. The girls on the door were all smiles.

I have a feeling that Sailor X is probably just a wind up merchant and the story is fictional.

Members and Regulars first at such a major event when the Club is full. Alternative, open the doors to all and the members/regulars get left outside?!

I was there, people were falling out the doors, 2 TV crews broardcasting, Marcus Lush had set up his radio breakfast show up in the balcony and if you didn't get there for 6.30 seats were rare.

Mates who were not members but regulars got in with no issues at all. The girls on the door were all smiles.

I have a feeling that Sailor X is probably just a wind up merchant and the story is fictional.

Members and Regulars first at such a major event when the Club is full. Alternative, open the doors to all and the members/regulars get left outside?!

True story Vagabond. the only wind up was you tennis story.

and... there is a big difference between hoards of people queuing to pay to see tennis versus one guy turning up to a yacht club with low membership and wanting to get a feel for the place. only to be told to bugger off.

.... only to be told to bugger off.

Interesting, I know who was on the door and your mate would have not been told to 'bugger off'.

He/she would have been treated politely and it would have been explained that as it was so full members and guests were being given priority.

I am pretty sure that any reasonable person would be able to comprehend that and understand.

Archived