On mooring - washing the boat

banaari

Have often wondered whether there is such a thing as an on-the-water boat wash - like a drive through car wash but for boats. Would expect reasonable demand for such a thing and the engineering could be quite interesting. Surely some entrepreneurial type has done this

Use a bucket.

OK - implication here is that what you might call "bulk scrub" is done with salt water and not to stress about some of the noises online about the desirability of using fresh?

Fastest way to rot your boat is to wash it in Fresh water. Saltwater is your friend. It kills allt he green slime and what not. Just not so great on the Windows, but you simply rinse with a little fresh water.

Scrub it with salt water just before a lot of rain is forecast then stay onboard and reward yourself whilst the rain turns up... Once the rain is there give the windows and hatches a wipe down to get the salt off..

Fastest way to rot your boat is to wash it in Fresh water. Saltwater is your friend. It kills allt he green slime and what not. Just not so great on the Windows, but you simply rinse with a little fresh water.

How far do you push the water when you wash yours Wheels? As I would hope that the deck is capable of withstanding rain...

Word of caution.

Wood loves salt water and any surface with a fresh water algae / mould etc on it dies in salt.

That is where the use of salt water ends.

For fibreglass, alloy, plastics, metals, paint, ... freshwater with mild detergent is best.

Keep bleaches etc away from your boat unless....

How far do you push the water when you wash yours Wheels? As I would hope that the deck is capable of withstanding rain...

Ha, yeah being FC, the deck can handle pretty much everything :wink: It is a saying an Old timer said many years ago and best relates to wooden Boats of course. Salt is a great preservative and "disinfectant" and Boats are designed to withstand Salt.

The issues with Salt being the crystals when it dries can be quite abrasive of course and that can damage paint and being a Chloride can also damage paint, but then that is why we tend to use good quality Marine Paints now don't we.

Actually any Detergent will still work in Salt water. It's just that many of the Freshwater ones won't Suds up. The Suds is not the Part that does the cleaning though. The Suds are simply a "gimick" to make detergent look like it is doing something. The actual detergent part is more about breaking water surface tension, which "wets" the water and then suspension of dirt/grease particles. Once you remove a particle with a brush, the real working parts of the detergent binds to the particle and stops it from sticking again, thus keeping it in suspension in the wash water to then be rinsed away.

Its the deck hardware that especially needs a quick dousing of fresh water. before the salt dries is best. roller bearing blocks and travellers/jib track/mainsail cars really need attention. if they get a buildup of sail crystals then the balls jam and get flat spots. then most people lube them when they get rough which makes it worse as the balls slide instead of rolling. we allways empty all the drink bottles out on the deck gear before leaving the boat. 1liter goes pretty far and wiggle the car or roll the block as you wash it for the best result.

roller bearing blocks and travellers/jib track/mainsail cars really need attention.

arr yes excellent point. I forget that kind of thing because being a cruiser, I don't use anything with little roller bearings. I found that out the hard way. I got a bunch of goochie rail blocks to run my furling line around with. Nice when it was new, but after only a couple of seasons, it got really stiff. I discovered they had all seized and worn completely flat and some right through. Now I use nothing but simple blocks. Not as nice, but much longer lasting in the abusive situation of being a Cruiser.

Archived