Welsford boats

DrWatson

Anyone sailed or own a Welsford Navigator or Pathfinder? Seem to be very well regarded especially in Europe/US.

Looking at them from a general purpose leave it at the batch kind of boat to use for fishing, sailing, general knockabout. Ideally need something a little more capable than your average tender, and something more utilitarian than a half built 40ft racing boat.

Brilliant boats.

read this link..............great adventure in a Welsford Navigator. :thumbup:

http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Boats/Boat ... asawa.html

I spent a very enjoyable 5 hours in 20k of wind in the gulf in one about 7 years ago. Felt safer than I've felt in some keelers :roll:

I've always wanted to build a Pathfinder (essentially the big sister to the Navigator). Guess I'll get around to it one day. Maybe..........

I've got a Pathfinder, its a great boat.

Very safe and easy to sail. Performs well and very stable. Over summer I did Mana to the sounds both ways. Averaged about 5 knots in a straight line on both trips, performed very nicely. With a 4hp outboard (in a well, navigator has it out the back on a bracket) also motors at about 5 knots.

It takes me a bit of time to rig, fastest is about 35 minutes, in the sound she sat on a mooring so rigged and ready to go in about 2 minutes, that was great :D . Its very versatile with three sails though.

In Western Aus there is a navigator with two free-standing masts with lug sails, I would imagine super quick and easy to rig and de rig,

:thumbup: The Navigator is a wonderful little boat and one that John can hang his hat on forever, the pathfinder however with its weight and cumbersome feel ..... struck me that you would be much better off keeping a lot of coin in your pocket and buying a Coronet or Tasman 20 both good performers available real cheap ( to those in NZ)

I think 'clumbersome' is a harsh call on the Pathfinder, it is a comfortable, capable cursing dinghy. Not high performance dinghy but also doesn't claim to be

Anyway for a bach dinghy I would look at some of the simpler lighter boats. The Rogue is one that would probably be good, covers the motor and sail options and possibly row also. Truant would be another option. There is Yahoo group called jwbuilders that has builders/owners of pretty all of John's designs and heaps of helpful info.

Have fun :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 114417.htm

the lovely (and first built) "Ddraigg' is for sale. If mine had sold I'd snap her up. She's in Chch but it'd be a nice drive down to pick her up.

New trailer, near new motor, mint Navigator - for $8K........... sob :cry: ...........timing is everything.........sigh.

Someone from Akl buy her so I can at least watch her sailing again...............

Archived