Marina Berth Costs

smithy09

There you go Smithy09, you could go to GH, be closer to some good cruising spots AND be able to get into the best racing in Auckland :thumbup:

There is always the possibility of joining a rocking little yacht club and parking your boat in the river :clap:

Guest Rocket

The only exciting bit about a reach is getting the gybe done - we all learned long ago that you can't pass anyone and it just becomes a luffing contest then a short flat run to get down to the wing mark. Actually trapezoids are pretty much exactly that - a couple of short reaches and a managed run sort of putting buoys where we all went anyway...

All the action in dinghys and keel boats is on the flat runs and at the corners. (beats of course haven't changed)

I hear what you are saying Rocket, but what's the fastest point of sail for most boats.

Fish - don't tell everyone about the best YC in the country - we'll get swamped.

If the roads weren't so crap GH would be a great spot for many especially us Shoreites. Sadly the roads are crap.

I'm telling you the roads are in good condition! :mrgreen:

Oh, it was more the moronic drivers on them that concerns me.

Squid - triangles are so last century!

So which century would be reaching backwards and forwards up the same ditch? :crazy: :crazy:

1675 thru 2012, December 21st and then the world goes poof, or so I'm told ;)

Yes I'm in with Squid, Mr Fish, don't tell everyone how nice the sailing up there is. You'll have more like me arriving and I'm knot sure the locals could stand laughing too much more, certianly knot the patrol boats crews, they might blow a fu-fu :lol: :lol:

For me, as an absetee owner for the past 7 years, and now a resident for 6 months of the year, the advantage of Gulf Harbour is cleanliness - water and air.

All marinas have issues with electrolysis but Gulf Harbour seems to me to be a paragon compared with

Chaffers in Wellington (where I previously kept a boat).

As to air quality, Gulf harbour beats Westhaven hands down. The latter has a constant problem with road film from the harbour bridge which in no time builds up a nasty deposit on paintwork and needs constant cleaning.

The latter, of course, translates to additional cost.

in a mixed fleet on a sportboat the reaches are great; plenty of passing action going on; love especially doing the to leeward pass.

I guess one of the driving factors is where similar boats are; most of the day sailors are at westhaven, so seems easiest to sail there, plus least time frigging around setting up getting to the start. Surprised that Bayswater hasn't figured out the benefits of the trailer fleet; you'd think they would have facilities for that (they told me they don't).

For keelers, I guess if rum races etc are a fun thing to do, then finishing work and being at westhaven in a few min then off to race....well if it means more sailing then that's a good thing (kind of the problem with a mooring at Northcote - cheap as chips, but a bit more effort each time to go out).

As for closeness to cruising depends on the boat; if fun to sail then distance matters less. Young family and slow leadmine grader....best to not have to go far.

Definitely the idea of living in a nice condo walking down to the boat and then sailing out to Kawau with some hot wahine has some appeal..... Did they end up finishing all the development in GH for property?

There you go Smithy09, you could go to GH, be closer to some good cruising spots AND be able to get into the best racing in Auckland :thumbup:

There is always the possibility of joining a rocking little yacht club and parking your boat in the river :clap:

I'm sold. I just have to win the dutch auction for the yacht now. Why do I always pick the expensive ones?

The only exciting bit about a reach is getting the gybe done - we all learned long ago that you can't pass anyone and it just becomes a luffing contest then a short flat run to get down to the wing mark. Actually trapezoids are pretty much exactly that - a couple of short reaches and a managed run sort of putting buoys where we all went anyway...

All the action in dinghys and keel boats is on the flat runs and at the corners. (beats of course haven't changed)

Bollocks! Lasers have got to be the most one design yachts out there and there was always heaps of passing action on reaches. Ditto with Optis. You don't always have to go to weather to pass ya know!

anyone tried driving from AK central to Gulf Harbour between 4:30pm and 5:30pm on a weeknight in summer?

if you are coming from anywhere in greater AK and sailing on weeknights is your thing then forget gulf harbour. it will be close to dark when you get out of your car.

however I agree GH is a good option if cruising and travelling off-peak is the plan..

Yeah the majority of weeknight sailors operating out of GH do live locally. Although if you do a midweek summer evening race you won't be heading home to Auckland between 4.30-5.30pm, you'll be travelling home off peak anyway.

If you like to mix up cruising and racing then best combo (I discovered) is to try to sail during the week on a regular boat racing out of Westhaven and cruise your own boat out of GH at weekends.

Although there's still development going on it is largely done. The second "Eastern Marina" is being built although there hasn't been much progress since they knocked down the temporary wall holding the sea out. A lot of housing development going on over that side still. The thing I like best about our racing up here is that no one wants to prang their boat to enforce their rights. Most disagreements are sorted at the bar, and no matter how intense the racing, we're all mates and matesses after the race. So no you Auckland guys would hate it up here. I'm mean, no gin palaces driving through your fleet, no congesdtion, as WBC & GHYC sort out their race schedule as much as possible to allow their members to race in each others series, we have 2 tricycles racing & rumours of another one soon and perhpas an 8.5 cat in the not too distant future. We leave the marina and we're on the way to where we want to go, the water is so clean and as alluded to before almost no electrical activity in the water - a zince lasts me 3 years! ( No my keel bolts are not quietly fizzing away) Ripples is the centre of the universe for apres sail nosh, and bloody good boat builders who explain what's happening to your boat and phone to give you progress reports, a great rigging service with over a century of experience between them. A Burnsco that's right there. So no you Aucklanders wouldn't like it here.

Guest Rocket

Smithy09

You must be sailing in a different laser than me - we generally just take each other up and then finish off running flat to the wing mark. So I see your bollocks and raise you one. Every now and then you get away with a glamour leeward pass on a bunch that gets too high - but generally that is a seriously high risk manouevre and only succesful in strong breeze.

And I am quick reaching (relative to my fleet of jelly bellies)....

anyone tried driving from AK central to Gulf Harbour between 4:30pm and 5:30pm on a weeknight in summer?[/quote

Anyone tried driving anywhere in Auckland between 4.30 and 6.30pm?

anyone tried driving from AK central to Gulf Harbour between 4:30pm and 5:30pm on a weeknight in summer?[/quote

Anyone tried driving anywhere in Auckland between 4.30 and 6.30pm?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Flogging a dead horse Squid, there's a reason why Weiti average 12 boats a twilight race, GHYC 15, Richmond 80 and RNZYS 100 and it (shock horror) isn't because people at Westhaven don't know Gulf Harbour exists. It's because half the people racing at Westhaven don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting to Gulf Harbour mid week. Notwithstanding the traffic, anyone can get to Westhaven.

Of course, you could make a valid case that most the Westhaven boats would only need half their crew to trounce the mob from up north.

Sheeyit! Wot you running around waving red flags like that for Mark? Of course we've never seen you up our way to put your boat where your mouth is either... :lol:

Archived