Last spring I realized re-painting was overdue but too late... So this season instead and last fall I decided to do what never happened when we built the boats 30 years ago -- longboarding:

slipad_för_mars.jpg

If all goes according to plan tomorrow will be the last day of longboarding and painting will start next weekend. What to use? My current thinking is epoxy primer followed by 2-part polyurethane top-coat. Spray painting is out of the question, I think (not enough space between the hulls).

Thoughts?

TIA

/Martin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GregW, interesting observation regarding thinned paint and rolling it. In some resent paint projects I have noted that the first rolled coat comes out very nicely -- pretty much the same as sprayed. The second coat is never that good for some reason but I have never tried that much thinning.

Never heard of Altex. Over here we have a choice of International and Hempel plus whatever car paint shops use.

Aditional information: I am only doing the 'inside' topsides this year. I expect to do the 'outsides' next year.

/Martin

Martin, looks like a similar low-ventilation low light shack like I had - I should have added the primer is pretty evil and chops through rollers like you wouldn't believe. The top coat not so bad. You thin it right down and it looks so thin and runny it shouldn't have any coverage, but once the second coat goes on it looks ok. Worked alright for me, but I was only working to the 'boatlength' rule :-)