YNZ Safety Regulations 2021

56 minutes ago, Jon said:

last RNI (Cat 2) yachts with squaretop mains were required to have 50% reefing ability were as pinheads were ok with 35% and a tri sail. There’s still a lot of sail up with 50% reef in a squaretop especially in 50+kts on the noise short tacking into Wellington  

I haven’t gone deep into this latest round ( can’t be assed until they become official )

So Jon, you would know a fair bit about safety and boat racing.

When you say 35%, do you mean reduce the luff length by 35%?

Angus was telling me today that that rule means reduce the luff length to 35%. Of all the people, including sail makers, I've ever spoken to, I'd never come across that understanding. This is in the context of pin heads and Cat 3, but the same question applies to cat 1 & 2. Angus's example was for Cat 1, and I can kind of understand the need to go to 35% for Cat 1, but it is not going to leave very much area up at all.

your correct Fish , a deep reef for a squaretop needs to leave only 35% of the luff, you will get away with 50% left if it’s a pintop and you have a trisail for Cat 2 anyway but also comes down to the inspector and your explanation of how you can handle such a situation 

As can be seen in the photo above Deep Throttle had plenty of sail with storm jib and tri sail up out in the Strait and coming up the main channel, but it looks overkill in the photo on the reach into the finish. Anarchy shook out their deep reef at the head of the channel for the reach in then wiped out as they crossed Evens bay. Just shows you don’t need a lot of sail in big winds

1 hour ago, KM... said:

Only 35% left??? that's tiny.

Does that do away with the need to carry the objectionable coloured heavy weather sails?

Well, apparently that is what Cat 3 was supposed to be....

I always thought it supposed to have 65% left (reduction of 35%).

Now we only have to have half left (50%).

Personally, I'm thinking if there is such widespread confusion, there is possibly an issue with the documentation...

So I've looked at what I actually have, noting that this has been certified to Cat 3 in the past.

3rd Reef reduces the luff length BY 37% (so 63% remaining, 13% short of the new rule)

That reduces the area by 55% (45% remaining).

Noting that I have never actually used the 3rd reef in anger... we regularly move through 1st and 2nd reefs.

If I complied with the old rule, of having 35% left, I would only have 18.4% of my sail area left... for Cat 3...

So world sailing have tidied up the sail bit quite well, wouldn't have been too hard for YNZ to have just copied that, it makes a lot more sense, if you actually want a rule.

Cat 3 "either a storm trysail as defined in OSR 4.26.2 d), or mainsail reefing to reduce
the luff by at least 40%"

YNZ say you are meant to follow the OSR rules anyway, just to add to the confusion. I hope they didn't pay anyone for that 3 years of revision that wasn't.

The NZ regs pretty much leave it up to you if you read it certain ways, why they felt the need to write another 2 pages after that I'm not sure?

"Skippers should consult their sailmaker and designer
to arrive at the best sizes. The sizes given below
are maximum suggested sizes only and should be
followed only after due consultation."

However they also say

"The following sails must be carried and rigged
and hoisted at the time of inspection. These
specifications give maximum areas;"

These two paragraphs are next to each other, how fucked up can you get?

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

The following sails must be carried and rigged
and hoisted at the time of inspection. These
specifications give maximum areas;"

And aah , I did the above for inspection and they didn’t get inspected after a sleepless night hoping the new main would would pass ! 

What about the heavy weather jib?  Has to be exactly 70%?  Anything smaller or larger is incompliant.  Should they add "at most"?  Sounds like Shakespeare's pound of flesh!

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

What about the heavy weather jib?  Has to be exactly 70%?  Anything smaller or larger is incompliant.  Should they add "at most"?  Sounds like Shakespeare's pound of flesh!

Look up a few posts, my last one, the crystal clear answer from the rules. 

• Haha 1