Bow Thrusters

Knot often I disagree with ya KM, but I will here.

That's OK, I am wrong once maybe twice a year :lol:

A few on here are just "Too cool for school" in their own lunchtimes, and anyone with less skill that Peter Blake gets hammered.. I know a beat up when I see one!

And did Peter Blake learn with using thrusters, GPS and the myriad of other toys now easily available? I think knot.

Do many here realise just how often bow thrusters crap out and or give trouble? It's often so what is someone going to do when it stops working, anchor in the middle of the harbour and get Rigger in a tug to berth them?

Way way too many are putting way way to much faith in toys and gadgets without having a solid or in many cases even partial background or experience to know what to do when those toys fail.

I'm knot saying fitting a thruster is a bad thing but I am saying fitting one in lieu of actually knowing how to park you boat without one is. I read Rocket as saying the same thing or as close as.

Disclaimer - I am going to attempt to park a 60ft lump of steel with one massive prop and associated massive prop walk (no thruster and a bow that falls off easy in any breeze) at a fuel dock this weekend. I do reserve the right to change my mind on Monday ;)

Florence.

Up to you what you do in the end, but if you do get a bow thruster please do not rely on it all the time.

I have seen far too many people become totally reliant on the bowthruster as an essential piece of kit and this has in turn led to some real screw ups and I am not talking about a 40ft yacht getting into trouble but something much larger and rated for work in ice.

Just keep in the back of your mind what to do if the bowthruster fails to work or locks into thrusting in one direction at full nut.

Backing into a berth is a real option as well as using the piles if needed. Been there done that, scuffed the paint a couple of time, repainted when needed and put it down to learning.

Keep an eye out at your marina and talk to those that have them as well as to those that have a similar vessel to yours.

All the best.

I am going to attempt to park a 60ft lump of steel with one massive prop and associated massive prop walk (no thruster and a bow that falls off easy in any breeze) at a fuel dock this weekend. I do reserve the right to change my mind on Monday ;)

Wish I was at home. I'd be ther with a camera. Nothing like an audience to stuff it up. :D

Florence.

Up to you what you do in the end, but if you do get a bow thruster please do not rely on it all the time.

I have seen far too many people become totally reliant on the bowthruster as an essential piece of kit and this has in turn led to some real screw ups and I am not talking about a 40ft yacht getting into trouble but something much larger and rated for work in ice.

Just keep in the back of your mind what to do if the bowthruster fails to work or locks into thrusting in one direction at full nut.

Backing into a berth is a real option as well as using the piles if needed. Been there done that, scuffed the paint a couple of time, repainted when needed and put it down to learning.

Keep an eye out at your marina and talk to those that have them as well as to those that have a similar vessel to yours.

All the best.

Good onya Rigger. :thumbup: :thumbup:

There might be a few racing skippers in Thailand interested in learning about anchoring about now (dives for cover).

Oh well said Master.

And I'm with Rocket.

DL

I wonder what the OP is thinking in response to this?

OP?

What?! You don't know what 'OP' means?

For f@cks sake smithy go and get some forum posting lessons, preferrably somewhere safe away from other users. If you don't know how to use a forum properly then online obviously isn't for you, suggest you change hobby e.g. get a playstation.

It's not like "OP" is a big challenge is it? We're just talking about a little toy acronym of only 2 digits.

Sorry guys, but it had to be said. Someone had to stand up to it.

I wonder what the OP is thinking in response to this?

OP?

What?! You don't know what 'OP' means?

For f@cks sake smithy go and get some forum posting lessons, preferrably somewhere safe away from other users. If you don't know how to use a forum properly then online obviously isn't for you, suggest you change hobby e.g. get a playstation.

It's not like "OP" is a big challenge is it? We're just talking about a little toy acronym of only 2 digits.

Sorry guys, but it had to be said. Someone had to stand up to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog is stalled whilst I catch up on real life since my accident.... doing OK now but the size of it blows out for emailing with all the pics of my gfs... not sure what to do, maybe ditch some of them (pics or gfs, not sure)?

Blog is stalled whilst I catch up on real life since my accident.... doing OK now but the size of it blows out for emailing with all the pics of my gfs... not sure what to do, maybe ditch some of them (pics or gfs, not sure)?

Oh stop it.... :sick: :sick:

There might be a few racing skippers in Thailand interested in learning about anchoring about now (dives for cover).

Diving for cover might be a good idea Squid, over half that fleet is charter boats and not 'racing' in the sense that we understand it. Well, we as in Westhaven, I'd hesitate to make assumptions about what might be deemed racing in tropical parts a little north, he says checking about him for good beds to dive under.

over half that fleet is charter boats

Arrr right then, that can explain a lot. People on Boats they don't know well, in an area they don't know well, using gear they don't know well, possibly deploying with out knowing much about how, probably watching someone else and copying which ends in the Blind leading the Blind and then all you need is one or two drag over other anchors that are indeed deployed well and off go a bunch of boats.

Archived