Annual rant - lights

Fogg

This is a bugbear which I've mentioned before but after this weekend's experience it's that time again...

What is it with NZ mariners and lights? The attitude towards showing the correct lights seems to be dangerously casual, as though it's an optional extra not a vital obligation. It's a bit like the casual attitude that many cyclists take when cycling at night with no lights - they seem to think if they can see you then you can see them.

Boats

Motor-sailing to Barrier on Fri night we encountered 3 other vessels ALL showing incorrect lights in varying combinations. From their speed, 2 were clearly launches and 1 was a yacht, all failing to showing correct lighting underway.

Then as we approached the anchorage in Kiarara Bay, it was not much better with about one third of the anchored boats not showing any lights at all. I'm sorry if one of them was you and I woke you with my spotlight on your dark boat but rather that than a collision!

Cray Pots

On the outer approaches to Man O War I was alert to the usual hazard of cray pots and so using the spotlight we picked up at least 3. Two were too close to the rocks to be a navigational hazard but one was not. Fouling your sterngear could have been fatal in that bit of water, so close to the rocks. What are the laws in NZ about cray pots? Either the laws are inadequate or they are beeing breached irresponsibly. I recall in the UK the rules required all cray pots to be clearly labelled with the owner's details and to include a flag on a stick which at least increased the chances of spotting it. And they weren't allowed to be positioned in main thoroughfares or navigation channels for obvious reasons. Several angry boaties who fouled their props on illegal pots were known to have cut the ropes and cast them free. Understandable in my view.

Other Obstructions

Then coming through Man O War and heading towards Kiarara Bay we we passed the usual mussell farms which were again badly lit. The yellow lights meant to mark each end were often not working meaning you couldn't rely on them and again the spotlight was used. Who is responsible for them?

I enjoy night passages, they involve a different kind of challenge to day time sailing and can be safe if conditions are fair and reasonable. But I continue to think that night trips around this part of the NZ coastline at least, are made uncessarily more hazardous due to a poor attitude towards lighting standards in many different forms - from boaties to fisherman.

Would be interesting to know how many skippers of vessels on the water in NZ actualy have a clue what correct lighting is for their particular boat, not to mention being able to decipher the lights of any other boats around. I'm just about finished the RYA Yachtmaster theory course (did RYA Day Skipper last year), and I've had a bit of an eye-opener about the amount of stuff there is to learn! I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of boaties simply didn't know.

Oh yeah, and then there's correct VHF protocol... which I if I'm not mistaken is also a legal requirement that is spectacularly widely ignored?

Well, BB, you are right that once you get into the larger commercial vessels and various permutations of trawling, towing barges etc then there is a lot to learn. But I don't think that it's necessary to learn this by heart because (1) the larger commercial vessels are usually showing the right lights and are less of a concern and (2) the peculiar variations are rarer. And if you don't recognise a peculiar combo you can look it up quickly. The bigger vessels are usually further away giving you time to see them and work out what they are etc.

But I'm talking about the basics that a typical private yacht or launch should be showing in terms of red/green forward running lights and white stern light. Plus a white (steaming) light if motoring. Simple. These are the boats that you are more likely to come into close proximity to whilst sharing the same GPS-assisted narrow corridor courses typical of the more popular routes e.g. Tiri Channel to Kawau, Auckland to Barrier etc.

VHF protocol? I'm less concerned about that. As long as the gist of the message is clear I'm not worried about whether it's perfect. And CG Radio is clearly very tolerant of recreational users who lack the polish of professional radio etiquette. I am sure they would rather encourage widespread use of VHF for the correct safety purposes rather than discouraging it by criticising every mistake made on-air.

Well, BB, you are right that once you get into the larger commercial vessels and various permutations of trawling, towing barges etc then there is a lot to learn. But I don't think that it's necessary to learn this by heart because (1) the larger commercial vessels are usually showing the right lights and are less of a concern and (2) the peculiar variations are rarer. And if you don't recognise a peculiar combo you can look it up quickly. The bigger vessels are usually further away giving you time to see them and work out what they are etc.

Wasnt too many years ago that a yacht skipper didnt know what the lights were that a tug was displaying in auck area. Loss of 3 or 4 lives, yacht sunk in seconds and everyone down below died

My pet hate is the boats with lights that don't show sectors correctly so they are showing you red and green from about 20 degrees either side of straight ahead.

I had to google Kairara bay, always known it as Forestry. I'm not sure that it is a legal requirment to show anchor lights there as it is a "known" anchorage with moorings, so the arriving vessel should be aware there may be unlit boats there anyway.

As for the mussel farms totaly agree and it is poorly policed.

I actually like the VHF informality, the Aussies saying 'romeo" for "roger" and the Americans "go" for "over".

If you like to sail at night shout yourself a decent set of binoculars (AC I'm sure you already have). I wouldn't want to be without mine now.

Wasnt too many years ago that a yacht skipper didnt know what the lights were that a tug was displaying in auck area. Loss of 3 or 4 lives, yacht sunk in seconds and everyone down below died

Think I remember that one. Reinforces the need to know as much as possible, which means starting with the basics. And if you can learn all the rarer combinations great - if not have a reference guide readily to hand to check anything you are unsure of.

I remember having to learn all the various light schedules for the Boatmaster exams many years ago, but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head what the light schedule for a tug with tow over 200 m is .... or a Seine fisher shooting nets or whatever. The "take home message" with the lighting for me was "If it looks like a Christmas tree, stay well away from it". I do carry a copy of Safety in Small Craft onboard and can look it up pretty quickly if needs be (or curiosity is piqued) but knowing ALL of the many lighting schedules off by heart is not really realistic unless you're using them often.

My pet hate is the boats with lights that don't show sectors correctly so they are showing you red and green from about 20 degrees either side of straight ahead.

I had to google Kairara bay, always known it as Forestry. I'm not sure that it is a legal requirment to show anchor lights there as it is a "known" anchorage with moorings, so the arriving vessel should be aware there may be unlit boats there anyway.

As for the mussel farms totaly agree and it is poorly policed.

I actually like the VHF informality, the Aussies saying 'romeo" for "roger" and the Americans "go" for "over".

If you like to sail at night shout yourself a decent set of binoculars (AC I'm sure you already have). I wouldn't want to be without mine now.

Agree know anchorages can have some unlit boats (hence the spotlight sweep) and I think there was one genuinely moored boat over the far left side. But the others were anchoired visitors who were taking an unecessary gamble by showing no anchor riding light. I know that if I was anchored with no light showing and someone ran into me at night, I would expect to have little or no case against the moving boat who hit me.

Yes the binos were in use on Friday night although the lumpy sea state meant it was hard to get a steady view of the offending boats underway. To make it worse one was approaching from behind and we kept seeing red, then green, then red + green i.e. he was heading directly at us at times. But we had no idea if he was a fast yacht or a slow launch or what.... turned out he was a launch cos eventually he stabilised his course and went past us about twice our speed and we could just make out his flybridge profile.... at which point his red/green lights disapeared and he disappeared - cos he was also failing to show a stern light as well as no steaming light.

I remember having to learn all the various light schedules for the Boatmaster exams many years ago, but honestly I wouldn't be able to tell you off the top of my head what the light schedule for a tug with tow over 200 m is .... or a Seine fisher shooting nets or whatever. The "take home message" with the lighting for me was "If it looks like a Christmas tree, stay well away from it". I do carry a copy of Safety in Small Craft onboard and can look it up pretty quickly if needs be (or curiosity is piqued) but knowing ALL of the many lighting schedules off by heart is not really realistic unless you're using them often.

Agree 100%. That's all I'm asking. As well as showing the correct lights on your own vessel of course!

The boat that went under the barge off Kawau was Toolka T, an Aussie yacht that spent several seasons in Gulf Harbour.

Sadly the skipper, Don Morton, was downstairs at the time and didn't get out. He was a real character and well known amongst the Pacific cruisers as a good bloke.

It doesn't matter if it is a "Known anchorage". Knoen to who anyway? If you are anchored you have to display an anchor light. The only saving grace if it is a Known Anchorage is like AC ended up doing, he expected to see boats and used a spot to varify.

I found the same regarding the Mussel farms over the Coromandle. Very poorly marked and blocking exit entries to some nice spots.

Wheels I used the wrong term.

How about known mooring area.

What I am saying is if you drive into Matiatia and hit the only boat on anchor amongst the moored vessels I don't think you would have a case just because they were unlit.

For what its worth we always put one on, and often it is still going the next night when we go to turn it on again. :oops:

On a different point many mastehead anchor lights aren't great anyway as they get lost in the houses on the hill when you get close.

Some thing lower that casts some light the boat itself is much more useful to the late arrivals

A proper anchor light is easy to spot amongst background light, usually anyway. But those stupid solar Garden lights are just plain dangerous and stupid to use.

Question though, so if you are motor sailing, is it correct that you are supposed to use your Steaming lights??If I have that correct, I have never understood why. Because motorsailing still means you are reasonably restricted to manouvering.

Question though, so if you are motor sailing, is it correct that you are supposed to use your Steaming lights??If I have that correct, I have never understood why. Because motorsailing still means you are reasonably restricted to manouvering.

Yes if you ae using you engine (for propulsion) you must have you steaming light on. You are considered a power driven vessel.

Yes if you ae using you engine (for propulsion) you must have you steaming light on. You are considered a power driven vessel.

Bingo! Well done rigger for correct answer!

Not picking on you personally wheels but the fact that someone as experienced as you has doubts about a basic point like that illustrates my point perfectly.

So what's the solution? I personally reckon the lighting issue is as important as the life jacket message, possibly even more relevant for larger boats like many of ours here than runabouts. But you never hear any of the authorities mentioning it.

How many collisions happen a year in NZ as the result of poorly fitted or non existant Nav lights?

Is it a big issue. :?:

After working on the Waitemata for a number of years I have to say that the number of boats with no lights on at night is an issue.

Especially when driving a tug with the line connected to a ship and going to back out to apply pull and having to stop as an unlit boat has just been lit up by the aft deck flood lights.

I would say that there are way too many near misses - just imagine what the end result in the above situation could have been if I had not had the flood lights on - I would not have seen the little yacht.

We have an all round led cockpit light that we leave on to find the yacht at night and to assist being seen by late arrivals. I reckon it is better than a masthead anchor light in terms of being seen in close proximity. Presume (i) that is fine as an anchor light by itself and (ii) it can be used as well as he masthead anchor light (ie 2 lights on at once)??

How many collisions happen a year in NZ as the result of poorly fitted or non existant Nav lights?

Is it a big issue. :?:

I reckon I do more night trips than average (just a gut feel, not scientific) and I could recount several near misses. One was coming into Gulf Harbour on a particularly dark night and I nearly ran into the back of a launch not showing a stern light. I got to within a coue of metres of him by the time I had seen him and hit reverse.

But I reckon rigger's professional experience gives even more weight to it being an issue.

We have an all round led cockpit light that we leave on to find the yacht at night and to assist being seen by late arrivals. I reckon it is better than a masthead anchor light in terms of being seen in close proximity. Presume (i) that is fine as an anchor light by itself and (ii) it can be used as well as he masthead anchor light (ie 2 lights on at once)??

When anchored it's a requirement to show an all round white light, it doesn't have to be masthead. Many launches don't even have masts for example. I don't believe there is any restriction on showing 2 lights and I sometimes do the same in busy anchorages ie show a masthead and a cockpit light (hanging off the boom end).

Archived