ORACLE TEAM USA AC72 - Progress and Evolution

Still flopping all over the place and looking pretty dangerious during a bear away.

Boat 2 will be stiffer still but not a stiff as ETNZ

In a straight line I think the boats will be simillar speed, maybe OR will be a touch quicker. Around a course ETNZ will be faster and more controllable.

Only gotta look at the chaseboats... No way those piddly chaseboats could keep up with the horsepower of the ETNZ chaseboats. And the ETNZ chaseboats are struggling to keep up with boat 2. You do the maths...

you now realise how bad that post was and are now trying to make up a pathetic excuse to make it go away.

:crazy: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes totally. my apologies and thanks for setting me straight on what i really meant to say. Where would the world be without people like you. Have a great weekend :clap: :clap: :clap:

Only gotta look at the chaseboats... No way those piddly chaseboats could keep up with the horsepower of the ETNZ chaseboats. And the ETNZ chaseboats are struggling to keep up with boat 2. You do the maths...

Ahh Yes!... the old "use the chaseboat speed of a youtube video to accurately gauge the speed of the AC72 trick"

Brilliant and very scientific :thumbup:

Been used by teams for years to evaluate opposition speed :thumbup: :thumbup:

Accurate to within a "Knats whisker" :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Great Tom Schnakenberg uses this as a "Rule of Thumb" :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gee and to think they would not use the old speed radar gun from a chase boat to check oracles speed :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:lol: :lol: WoW MM that peice of science is Awesome :wtf:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that is classic! :thumbup:

Epic, nice one Marshy. Hook line and sinker.

The overuse of emoticons in SB's post portrays his frustration at your foolish statement! How silly of you :)

Now what was it I was thinking about - oh yes that bad batch of primer that went wrong a few years back, the peely stuff, had a yellow tinge to it...

That is knot the stable looking platform TNZ has been showing us. It's jumping around like Skippy on methamphetamine. That could be good but it also can be bad.

If the sound track to the video is an indication of how the boats will go, it means OR will be thrashed by a Optimist, and rotationally molded shitter, knot even a good one.

The Oracle boat seems to do pretty well with a little more breeze. But clearly whatever they were doing there wasn't working too well. Maybe some new foils that didn't quite work out?

Re looking at that video I would say oracle is faster than TNZ in comparable wind speed.

It also looks lighter. (Based on the shape of the clouds MM :wink: :lol: )

Taking the foils out of it the wing sail is very different and may be the difference.

They definitely sail their boat more aggressively.

The only way an optimist would beat these (forget a DNF KM) is if one was stuck on the prod.

Oracles competence is awesome.

I'm not so sure about that. ETNZ have been foiling constructively in less that 10 knots. Even if Oracle has managed a potentially faster design, given how low volume their hulls are ete etc. However if you're out of control for even 5% of the time then that advantage is conceded. This is where time on the water is going to come into play. Sure ETNZ has done a lot more sailing that OR. Although we've never seen ETNZ behave like that in any kind of breeze.

The Oracle boat seems to do pretty well with a little more breeze. But clearly whatever they were doing there wasn't working too well. Maybe some new foils that didn't quite work out?

Judging movement in a video that has been heavily edited is not a scientific Evaluation.

Both teams marketing spin doctors will edit and tweak the outcome t to purvey whatever spin they desire.

eTNZ.s spin is to make out they have a rocket ship.

oracles may be to use confusion marketing.

Blake used the "slow dog" approach with NZL32 To great success.

Pretty sure that's not an official oracle video.

Yup I agree, ETNZ are well down the spin doctoring path. Although I think the approach this time is a bit different. Probably more subtle and different than in the past. I also suspect that they are down playing their available resources.

they are starting to look quick with version 1.5 and I wonder how much quicker version 2.0 will be. check out the foiling around 2:20

Archived