Jim Beam's nearly there.....

piebuss

Looking good. Big keel for a little boat. Are all the piedies like that?? And why the lead on the angle and not evenly along the bottom??? I understand it would be getting weight forward, but is this also normal for piedies?

Only thing I would have done different (cause I'm lazy) is glass and fair the keel first, then attach and do the final glassing to Hull.

Looking good. Big keel for a little boat. Are all the piedies like that?? And why the lead on the angle and not evenly along the bottom??? I understand it would be getting weight forward, but is this also normal for piedies?

Only thing I would have done different (cause I'm lazy) is glass and fair the keel first, then attach and do the final glassing to Hull.

Yeap, Thats the latest class legal keel for the piedy. We have had a few other variations over the years, all similar shape and weight but different materials.

We had a similar lead and deadwood keel that was the orginal but was a little shorter and fatter. These have been trimmed up (using a class mould) making a better foil and making these boats competitive.

Then we had the steel keels - a steel case that the lead was poured into.

Then we had a glass mould that was filled with lead buckshot and resin to stop it rolling around

And then we had the one that has gone onto Jim.

All about 550kg

Yeah that was the plan, to glass and fair it before putting it on.

But the logistics of hauling 600kgs out of storage every time I went down on the weekend to fair it etc was what made the project take so long, so I figured it would get done much quicker if it was on the boat...

Also, having it looking like a boat gives me a bit more motivation to work on it and not just go out for a dive.....

It's nearly all faired up, should be glassing in a couple of weekends then it's into the water and up to Akl...

Guest Saturday Night Special

How The keels were originally done was to shape the whole foil before it was attached to the boat draw on it where the lead went and cut the piece out and send it away as the plug for the casting as little Peter and Jim beam were built end to end by my farther and his brother little Peter my Farthers Boat was built out of lighter material so he made his lead plug bigger.There originally was no measure on what boats had what lead ballast .Ken Wilding With Rahutai mad his keel similar to The Beams new keel profile and because he had moved the centre of gravity aft he had to have one of his crew (Back then only 3 crew) sit up at the shrouds to ballance the boat

Yeah Jim always sat really high in the bow and the arse was always just about under water... So with this keel I've made sure to balance it better..

We always used to have to put someone fwd too.. always good to hear a bit of history nzrat, cheers.

Zoe, not sure bout coastal this year but could be a contender next year :) Wana write another story? the comeback edition :) we missed the podium on handicap by 30 seconds last time, basically the rum we poured at Brett.. so would be good to have another go at it. the cockleshell prize is always a laugh tho.

When we did it on the Beam some old guy came up to me at prizegiving pissed off and told me he'd done the whole race single handed in his 23ft boat, got becalmed off Tapecka for half a day only to miss out on the cockleshell prize by half a foot lol...

You could fill it with water and then measure the water :wink: Yeup, some say I am full of bright ideas. I hear it all the time. "That guys fill of it" they say. They must surely be talking about the bright ideas. :D

Would anyone know the internal volume of a Piedy in square feet or metres.

Thanks SS

What for ? is it to figure out how many cans of expanding foam you will need to fill up a certain maroon Piedy so it cannot be used? or any other devious plans to ruin someones race ???

Ive got you figured out

DO NOT GO NEAR MY BOAT!!!!!

Would anyone know the internal volume of a Piedy in square feet or metres.

Thanks SS

What for ? is it to figure out how many cans of expanding foam you will need to fill up a certain maroon Piedy so it cannot be used? or any other devious plans to ruin someones race ???

Ive got you figured out

DO NOT GO NEAR MY BOAT!!!!!

I was actually curious as a friend of mine is looking into a trailer sailor and I was trying to find out it how it would compare size wise. He hasn't been in a piedy so if I could give him a number he would get a rough idea. As for the rest of your rant :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Cheers, SS

last time I was drinking rum on one, there were 5 people down stairs, 2 on the bow 3 on the cabin top, 6 in the cockpit and the owner was standing in the hatchway, and we had a few more waiting to get on from the wharf.

Archived