47 replies to this topic

#41 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Yep, they sell multiple products that IMO are not fit for purpose.
It's not the sales staff at fault, but the ethics and knowledge of the management.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#42 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Raising this old thread to ask a question.

Set on getting Hella LED down lights for cabin.

Its a 26 foot yacht.  How many you reckon I would need?

#43 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

How long is that piece of string and is it green, red or white string. How much do you want to light up and how brightly? For some, just one light is all that is needed, but for others, they may want more.

#44 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:28 AM

How long is that piece of string and is it green, red or white string. How much do you want to light up and how brightly? For some, just one light is all that is needed, but for others, they may want more.

Well, Wheels, just bright enough so I don't bang my head or knee on something making my way to the head at midnight!  In all seriousness, I can't stand bright light, much prefer a more subtle ambience.  I was hoping to get away with two lights, one in the main cabin, and one in the for'ard area, but no idea of what lumens or whatever, as never had any experience fitting lights to a small yachts cabin.

#45 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

It absolutely depends on the particular light. Just like incandescent lights, leds vary in power, diffuser effectiveness, number of leds in the unit etc. Go to burnsco and look at a few on the working display panels to see.
However, I’m getting old and need better light than I once did, and I use 3 main lights in the saloon and one in each cabin on a 40 ft boat.
2ndry lights are strip lights on each side of the saloon, reading lights over each bunk, lights in every locker, engine room etc. With everything on its as bright as domestic house lighting.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#46 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

I've got 9 of these fitted. https://www.hella.co...face-mount.html

1 in each 1/4 berth, more than enough even for IT and my older eyes ;)

1 by the galley that faces forward and can be white or red. More than enough for the galley and puts a nice red glow for night

1 in the 'warehouse' the big space under the cockpit.

1 in each corner of the saloon under the side deck facing down so all are booby height when standing. Tucked back so when on can't be directly seen from the cockpit. Lots of subtle thru to lots of ligth depending on how many you turn on.

1 in the dunny wet hanger splace. This is white or blue. Not blinding but not too far off it but it does light my instrument/wiring cluster so good light is important. It also goes blue for night time.

1 in the forward forward cabin ...... to stretch that term a lonnnngggg way ;)

So I can have near blinding to subtle enough to make even an old slapper seem OK. Red and /or blue for night and zoned. All depends on how many you want to turn on.

2 maybe a bit minimal, maybe think about a couple more for when you do want lots of light. I'm working on 'better to have and not need than need and not have'.... to a point. They are 3W I think so hardly battery beaters even with a few on.

NOTE: I do have a 'low sheen' interior so I don't get the light bouncing all over the show. It sort of 'compacts' the area being lit a bit if that makes sense. The 1/4 berths light up very well but the LS finish stops all of it 'flowing' out into the boat so someone could be in one reading away and it won't piss with the deck teams night vision. This is one very cool bit with the low sheen finish I never thought about until we powered the boat up the other night.

Actually I may have a spare if you want to borrow and try it, I'll suss.

#47 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I use these;
https://www.whitwort...lt/?q=Bell rock
Specifically this one as the main cabin light, white and red, very bright:
https://www.whitwort...lim-light-board
Better than KM’s I reckon!
Looks like burnsco have them now too:
https://www.burnsco....-ceiling-light3

#48 jonathan

jonathan

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:16 AM

I am about to test my 26 led in a single bulb refit this weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users