#31 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

My vhf has a  turn off/ on and I've found it discharged before now. Accidentally turned on. 

Good to know what went wrong, a lot of talk about the mast hopping out of the step and robin hooding down through the hull, but now we know the truth, a chainplate failure .

Good to know, Unlike two other fatal boating accidents being sat on by the authorities,

How long does it take to write a report? ANSWER .. LONG ENOUGH that everyone has forgotten about it .

Except perhaps the people who sail on the sea and who would like to know , so they can safeguard against something similar happening to them and theirs.

#32 native

native

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

I would add that HH Vhf's are vulnerable to loss, being turned on or otherwise losing charge and saltwater damage.  If in a grab bag there should also be some shrinkwrapped spare batteries, if possible they should of the floating variety and I am always surprised that most dont have the option of being in a bright orange colour. 

#33 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

I splurged on some Penelope rechargeable AA's for my handheld VHF. Each one has 4000ma odd capacity, huge buggers, and lithium so they last for ages and as long as I top them up every 2 months +/- I know I have lots in the bank so to speak.

And splurge was right, those little buggers cost moonbeams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users