#31 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

My vhf has a  turn off/ on and I've found it discharged before now. Accidentally turned on. 

Good to know what went wrong, a lot of talk about the mast hopping out of the step and robin hooding down through the hull, but now we know the truth, a chainplate failure .

Good to know, Unlike two other fatal boating accidents being sat on by the authorities,

How long does it take to write a report? ANSWER .. LONG ENOUGH that everyone has forgotten about it .

Except perhaps the people who sail on the sea and who would like to know , so they can safeguard against something similar happening to them and theirs.

#32 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

I would add that HH Vhf's are vulnerable to loss, being turned on or otherwise losing charge and saltwater damage.  If in a grab bag there should also be some shrinkwrapped spare batteries, if possible they should of the floating variety and I am always surprised that most dont have the option of being in a bright orange colour. 

#33 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

I splurged on some Penelope rechargeable AA's for my handheld VHF. Each one has 4000ma odd capacity, huge buggers, and lithium so they last for ages and as long as I top them up every 2 months +/- I know I have lots in the bank so to speak.

And splurge was right, those little buggers cost moonbeams.

#34 Luigi Vercotti

Luigi Vercotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Cav 32 chain plates? They're glassed in and impossible to inspect in-situ.

Clearly, some people need their ass kicked...and have need it kicked for a great many years. But people that need their ass kicked, pass laws against ass kicking. Others, that need their asses kicked, enforce the laws. Suddenly, no one kicks ass any more and a great number of people that need their ass kicked miss out on the positive effects of a good ass kicking.

Greg Brown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users