11 replies to this topic

#1 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

Anyone done it? Comments? Advice?
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#2 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

I'm curious having surfed both sides a few times.

edited- out of thread context.

#3 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

i'd be interested to hear. looks like a lot of bad options.

#4 ScarecrowR31

ScarecrowR31

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hi anchored for for day inside black reef. Wouldnt recommend it in ANY swell. Wind is all over the place with one of my crew having a batch there saying that often onshore at both sides as wind follows peninsula round.

#5 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

If you do you may get a visit from Bad Kitty............ who will then tell you to piss off or Mr Beck may just drop a rocket on your head.

That's a interesting point. When Rocket Labs go to bang off a rocket things get placed on land to stop people getting close, the CAA tells all aircraft the keep away thru the NOTAM* system but what about boats in the area?

Unless they happen to be listening to the radio (a bit of a guess there thinking MNZ would broadcast something???) do boats just get BK rocking up saying "You have XX hrs to leave the area or ?????'.

BK is part of the team policing the close zone during launches. On the water that is.

* - NOTAMs are a form of warning notice put out to inform aircraft of hazards. When Rocket Labs go active at the Mahia launch site a NOTAM is issues to say 'stay away, the zone** is now active', the charts pilots have will have a red line defining the area to stay out of during a launch, it does include a fair bit of dawn range space in case of a oppsy.

** The Mahia launch zone is R401 SFC to 13500. That means restricted zone no 401 from the surface to 13500 ft above it. Not sure what happens above 13500, maybe the traffic is just routed elsewhere, most way up there is told which routes to use.

Mahia and Mahia beach themselves are just outside the western boundary of the CAA restricted zone.

#6 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

Notice to Mariners details the launch safety zone.
It is usually about a 10 day window, but is only applied on the actual launch day, which can slide around a bit inside that 10 day window.
Safety zone is different each launch, and Rocket Lab tries very hard to accomodate everyone’s needs on a launch day. While absolutely avoiding the potential to drop in excess of 10 tonnes of rocket fuel on you.
Boating can take place in the safety zone on the day, you do need to contact Rocket Lab and advise your intentions. If I can work out how I’ll post the next launch cartoon.
Re anchoring there, Mahia Beach itself looks somewhat ok, other than that I’d be fairly careful.
More like a “awesome weather, let’s take a look at Mahia” than actually planning a stop during a passage.
Think Mokes, not Fitzroy Harbour.
When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

#7 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

Attached File  704334E2-2255-42C3-A478-D3301770AE1A.jpeg   165.11KB   1 downloads
When I die make sure my wife doesn't sell Bad Kitty for what I told her it cost!

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

Notice to Mariners, of course DOH!!!

Is that a marine safety zone for a launch?

#9 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

February launch, window opens about the 23rd?

#10 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

And yes that’s the marine safety zone. Different every launch, last few have been longer, due South.
That rocket science is actually quite complicated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users