13 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a temporary mooring for a 9.2m trimaran drawing 0.5m from around 19th to the 28th Oct.  Ideally in the Weiti River but will take anything that might be out there.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

#2 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

Mine is empty but it is 80 ft. Youll need a bunch of extra rope.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#3 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Kick is out of the water this friday until 4th November, we are in Weiti River.

Think you would need to Speak to Katie in the office tho

#4 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

There are regularly short term moorings available at Weiti boating club. They are managed by the club, i.e. any boat hauling out for maintenance (or pimping) like Kick, the club manager will pop a sub let on the mooring.

Best phone Katie, the manager, on 09 424 5905

Of course there are other moorings around. A fair few up by the Stillwater boating club, and some random ones further upstream from there. I don't know how to get hold of them.

More on here:

http://www.weiti.co.nz/

#5 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give Katie a bell. I'll also try further up the Weiti as I'm hopefully hauling the boat up at Fusion on the 28th Oct.

BP, thanks for the offer, may be that I can find enough rope!

Cheers,
Dave

#6 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

If you are going up to Fusion anyway, and draw enough to float in a bath tub, you could probably find a suitable spot to anchor that is out of the way, further above the Stillwater boating club. Depending on how fussy you are. I haven't been that far up for a while, but if you laid an anchor out fore and aft I'd think you would be fine. It's obviously sheltered up there, no wave action, a bit of current from tide is all. Mud bottom / river banks at low tide. If you are happy taking the bottom, it would be easy to find a spot.

Of course, very few insurance policies cover boats at anchor unattended for more than 24 hrs.

There is more than one derelict boat tucked away up there...

#7 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

If you are going up to Fusion anyway, and draw enough to float in a bath tub, you could probably find a suitable spot to anchor that is out of the way, further above the Stillwater boating club. Depending on how fussy you are. I haven't been that far up for a while, but if you laid an anchor out fore and aft I'd think you would be fine. It's obviously sheltered up there, no wave action, a bit of current from tide is all. Mud bottom / river banks at low tide. If you are happy taking the bottom, it would be easy to find a spot.

Of course, very few insurance policies cover boats at anchor unattended for more than 24 hrs.

There is more than one derelict boat tucked away up there...

I wouldnt be doing that, my parents and others have their boats on certified pile moorings up river and it makes them most nervous when people do that.

Have seen a few boats that try that and have dragged into the mud banks and then sink, also my previous boat was moored up there and got damaged by a boat dragging in a storm, not nice when you are on the receiving end of someones bad decision.

#8 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

Fair call.

When I was typing it, I was wondering just how good the holding is in that gloop...

#9 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

my mooring at northcote point will be empty over that time

life is short

live it!

without fear or prejudice 

#10 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

Thanks all, appreciate the advice and suggestions.  Events have conspired to slide my transit to Auckland by a week or so, I'm hoping that I won't need a mooring now, straight to the haulout for me.  I'm hopefully getting one dropped in the Weiti in mid November in the Stillwater field, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Dave

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mooring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users