Old Sailing Photos

Here's a thread I'd like to see last a while.

We had family from Aus visiting last week and Mum got out a box of old photos, so I grabbed a few sailing type ones to share.

So who else is sitting on some old gems, we've seen the moustache brigade from the 70's , and I have seen a very young Sundreamer in a moth.

So get to the bottom of that broom closet and share with us.

In roughly chronological order

post-3043-141887188471.jpg

post-3043-141887188473.jpg

post-3043-141887188475.jpg

post-3043-141887188477.jpg

post-3043-14188718848.jpg

post-3043-141887188483.jpg

post-3043-141887188485.jpg

post-3043-141887188487.jpg

-P335 winner, C division, Easter Regatta, Paremata, 1974 I think.

-Pick up boat towing us around from the bays to the start, Paremata, mid 70s. L-R, Glen Sowry, Ken Rowell, Dave Barnes, me.

-Me Laser Nationals, Murawai 1970 something.

P335.jpg

Paremata-tow.jpg

Laser-1.jpg

Not sure how old I was at the time. But it was the first sailboat I had ever been on.

It was always power boating till then. And after as well as I was very into skiing and fishing and just being on the water. At some stage I got myself a Paper Tiger and had heaps of fun.

On this Sailboat, I can vividly remember watch the deep sounder. it was one of those old Merlin things with the spinning disc and red light that moved around. I would watch the Red light move around and my imagination was thinking of what must have been below. Years later I got my dive ticket and went back to that area and took a look.

126.JPG

These are two shots of Kotuku, a 36 footer that sailed with RNZYS Division IV (I think), taken on Auckland Anniversary Day around '77. The owner/skipper, with the white cap in the second photo, was Reg Morgan. My Dad is at the back and Rob Lovatt is in front of him. The guy in front of the skipper I think had the surname Davidson. The photos were taken by Roger Gilchrist, a friend of my parents who was a Herald photographer and was shooting the regatta that day.

I sailed on Kotuku a few times as a kid. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any recollections of this boat, or knows anything about what happened to it.

kotuku2.jpg

Kotuku4.jpg

I sailed on Kotuku a few times as a kid. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any recollections of this boat, or knows anything about what happened to it.

Kotuku was built in 1922 by Col Wild and named Delville, after Delville Wood in France where his brother was killed during WW1. She was built as an international 6-metre. Later had her counter bobbed and was renamed Kotuku around 1929 when Col Wild sold her.

When I last saw her about 5 years ago, she was moored off Z pier - probably still there.

'Tis the hydrofoil, Manuwai, yes? Great image, brings back memories. I will defer to the old jokers on the location though.

What kind of city would put up a skinny bridge like that? :crazy:

SJB or Fossil should get the 2nd location as well as craft

Thats not on using SJB and Fossil in the same sentence, he's much older than me. :wink:

Mawu Wai a PT20 hydrofoil owned by Robert Kerridge.

Bottom of Albert Street, with the Bell Tea sign on the corner of Hobson and Sturdee streets or was it Nelson/Fanshawe streets, such a long time ago.

Archived