Old Sailing Photos

Yep, was about the time they were building Outward Bound. Even better, check out the newspaper clipping above, I beat him!

Talking of Outward bound theres a great picture of Wal in the book there by a sewing machine

Tony, is the Manu Wai berthed at Princess wharf? Got me stumped!

close, it's on the ferry tee ferry buildings and lower albert street in background, the original flying angel is triangular building and the saw tooth roof is where travelodge is, the brick ferry boat bus stop is about the only remaining clue apart from that, oh and it's Ray Bambury the Te Kotuku engineer in the pic ex owner of 20'mullet boat "Waipiata"

Kotuku was built in 1922 by Col Wild and named Delville, after Delville Wood in France where his brother was killed during WW1. She was built as an international 6-metre. Later had her counter bobbed and was renamed Kotuku around 1929 when Col Wild sold her.

When I last saw her about 5 years ago, she was moored off Z pier - probably still there.

Cool. Thanks for that.

I'd always thought Kotuku was built as a short ender 6M but I defer to Robin. I met a bloke , Wim, who was a cabinetmaker and rebuilt her in the 80's to look like she is now. Beautiful workmanship went into her then, and I seem to recall that he added the counter extension onto the old counter extension to fair it out more like your tradition NZ Logan / Bailey type. Put the bowsprit on her and built that low cabin with a lot of camber for some headroom.

Another interesting little bit of data , early on she had a bipod mast, a sort of ladder affair which was then developed into a full tripod for Wild's big boat , name escapes me ATM.

Deacon?

she's still in the Westhaven moorings , pretty close to pier 21

Thanks for that JB. That's interesting. I asked about Kotuku once before in a thread long long ago and someone mentioned that she was over there. I looked out for her the next time I headed out of Westhaven but didn't see anything I recognised. If she has been modified, that probably explains why.

Also I recall Reg Morgan mentioning once that she had been a 6m. She had the 6m class symbol on one of her older sails.

Found this one while cleaning up in the shed, circa 1994, my first keelboat, I am pretty sure she wasn't after me for my boat. :lol:

Funny to think back that boat cost me $300 and after a re-paint and tidy up we took it all up and down the Queensland coast on camping trips probably have as much if not more fun on that than our present boat which cost 300 times more.

Save0001 (Medium).jpg

I'd always thought Kotuku was built as a short ender 6M but I defer to Robin. I met a bloke , Wim, who was a cabinetmaker and rebuilt her in the 80's to look like she is now. Beautiful workmanship went into her then, and I seem to recall that he added the counter extension onto the old counter extension to fair it out more like your tradition NZ Logan / Bailey type. Put the bowsprit on her and built that low cabin with a lot of camber for some headroom.

Another interesting little bit of data , early on she had a bipod mast, a sort of ladder affair which was then developed into a full tripod for Wild's big boat , name escapes me ATM.

Deacon?

she's still in the Westhaven moorings , pretty close to pier 21

Hey you are right. I went back an looked at my notes. The Star 28/6/24 notes that Col Wild has added a counter to her.

Glory of Sail mentions that Delville had a tripod mast but I have seen no other reference to it. Wild later launched Tara with a bipod mast - as per photograph on p 140 in Southern Breeze.

I got me bipods and tripods mixed up eh.

On friday I was given a collection of Seaspray.Talk about old photos! 1951 through 1990 or so, and one of the '50's or 60's articles I stopped on was about Tara cruising to the Three Kings and dropping off some equipment for scientists.

Many here will remember this old Fairmile, wrecked in Port Fitzroy after a fire on board in 1979, and destroyed (in part by explosives) in 1982. This pic was taken during our summer cruise (I think) in Jan. '81. At the time we had that Raven in the background.

sayandraandtamatigtbarr.jpg

Archived