Davidson 35

Kestrahl

Guest Dry Reach
Are these boats offshore capable? Anyone had any experience taking one to the islands?

Great Boats!

I don't know about the 35's but the 32's need strengthening around the aft chain plates (just bolted through the deck)

The 35's are a nice looking boat

Personaly I think those smaller Davidsons are built a little on the light side and IMO, I think the copy of the McGregor idea just sends shivers down my spine. However, it obviousy suits some people and their style of boating and I am not going to ridicule that. But I do think the important point to take from that is that all those designs suit some and their style of boating and some of those designs may not be built with offshore in mind.

The 35s are very cruise capable. One of the first open transom boats. Not the quickest boats, similar to a Lotus 10.6, slower than a 1020. A lot were home finished so anyone looking should check the construction detailing inside.

I did my first Coastal miles on one. Fond memories.

A lot were home finished so anyone looking should check the construction detailing inside.

Arrr, maybe that is why I have seen a rather light looking boat.

I still think the McGregor copy is a mistake for them though.

A trailersailor, very light Hull/Rig with a big outboard that gets it on the plane and you can be either a Power Boat or a Sailboat. Sure it suits some that may not have a lot of time and want to get somewhere quick. But in reality, it is a really compromise and does not perform greatly in either rolls. So you can only expect a half performance in either Roll. As I said, it will fit the needs of some an I do not have any anything agaisnt those that chose these boats. And the market must be there for Davidson to come out with their own version. Which actually looks remarkably similar. They are like those Chinese junks that look very unassuming and suddenly the darn thing gets up on the water and takes off because some smuggler has 1000Hp in the thing. These McGregors look like a lightweight strange little Trailer Sailor and suddenly the thing gets up and is gone at 26kts.

On close inspection, the Rig is very very light. Infact it is about the same weight as the Rig was on my PT. I have not heard of any problems, but at the same time, I don't think you would want to get caught in a sudden blow with one of these things. Of course, you can quickly pull the sails down and kick her into gear and high tail it back to the ramp, be on the trailer and off home for a hot cuppa before Squid had his greenmachine hardly turned arond.

I know what a mac 26 is Wheels, I thought you meant there was some styling cue or design aspect copied from the macGregor yachts into the D35.

I cant see the connection between the two to be honest. A D35 is generally regarded as a moderately heavy and conservatively rigged boat by todays standards.

I'm trying to recall a conversation with the builder but I think the D35 moulds went to Aus and were sold as Cavaliers over there... or was that the D37?

Actually it was the D37 that went to Australia to be sold as the Cavalier 37, and was far more succesful there than in NZ. Later in its life it had a stern extension added to become the Cavalier 39.

Kay Cottee circumnavigated on her Cav (D) 37, the yacht is on display in the Sydney Maritime museum

cant see the connection between the two to be honest.

Oh that's because what I am thinking when I write can end up being two different things, because my brain is travelling faster than my fingers. Even when I read my own words back again sometime later, I sometimes think, what the hell was I saying??

Anyway, what I meant was actually two different points. And the McGregor and Davidson version was a slightly different subject while on the same theme.

Geez you're a card Wheels. :D

Anyway , getting back to the Davidson.. Jono's comments are interesting regarding speed. I do wonder though, if when a D35 and a 1020 was loaded up with a ton and a half of fuel and supplies for cruising whether the speed difference might just pan out a bit.

Thanks for the replys. The Cav36, another option but price is the limiting factor the only one for sale is 120k, 2 davidsons under 100 and probably a nicer boat although I don't know about build strength, I heard the cavs are pretty solid. Hard to justify buying a boat here when they are overpriced I think possibly due to the big gap when they stopped building boats and when people started buying imports, looks like you can pickup some pretty good deals in hawaii for older boats. Or here is one for you bargin hunters http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/1824089516.html

OOOhh don't do that to me!

Buy the boat, take over my sails and halyards and we're off on the Transpac!

Looking at it, it would be a week of cleaning, a rewire, a hull polish, antifoul, and hope that the motor was ok.

Still very cheap.

Have seen that one before, there was mention of it having been a NZ boat that stayed up that way after a race series, Kenwood Cup or similar. Probably explain the interior if it was built purely as a race boat.

Cav36's have a huge following they even have their own web page. No one says a bad word about them. They are bullet proof in construcion,faster & bigger than the D35 leave p38's cav39's and lotus 10.6's for dead on the water and Dont forget that the Cav36 that is for sale is a cat one boat. It's totally immaculate from head to toe. It even has a water maker onboard crazy! The D35's for under a hundy prob have all orginal gear inculding the gastly bukh20 :thumbdown:

Archived