Buying a boat overseas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Has anyone purchased a boat form overseas and sailed/shipped it back to NZ?

What was your experience? Would you do it again?

There seems to be a number of boats on yacht world (some too good to be true) and I was wondering if the hassle of getting it back here is really worth the savings.

I know you have to add 15% GST and 5% duty to the price. Are there any other costs to consider?

Be interesting to know from someone who has done it before :D

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Search is your friend
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13715

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Excellent thank you. I did try a search but found nothing...

#4 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

It appears the cost of shipping is the big show stopper.

Ross 650 Farr 940

#5 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

But if you wanted to take a year off and enjoy and downwind sail across the Pacific........
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#6 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

I'm still wondering how we'l go about bringing our boat in and how the GST and duty will be calculated.

As we're building it ourselves, there is not really a "purchase" price. Sure there will be receipts to prove what we spent. But the base boat cost will be quite low. Kitting it out for the sail home will cost, of course, but can these things be considered as items which will be worthless when we get home? ie deprecated? I don't imagine the sail wardrobe will be looking too flash by the time we hit NZ and I'm guessing that half the other things will be worn out and worthless (various electronics, skipper, crew...)

Does it all depend on when you determine the time of purchase to be?... is it when I buy (bought) the first sheets of plywood? When I bought the plans? When I put it in the water sans rig and sails? when i get everything working and can sail coastal? When it's registered as a NZ ship (cause it won't be registered as anything else...)

It's not like there is a well established market value for a new home built 40 foot plywood boats built from 20y old plans by a half mad expats.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#7 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

I looked into this recently.

If you are a NZ citizen returning after at least 21 months overseas, then you are entitled to bring in your boat (or car) free of duty and gst. you must have owned it for 12 months and can't sell in NZ for 2 years.

on the specific question of having no bill of sale for duty, the customs officer can have the boat valued and calc duty and gst on that, also remember that that duty and is charged on the value and shipping cost together.

Usually worth getting the value assessed by someone you know before shipping, especially because you can show then how much the actual build cost was.

#8 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

I vaguely remember there is some rule that if you are bringing in something for personal use that you have owned for a while then no charge, but I could well be wrong, never done it, but I seem to remember car people bringing vehicles back.

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

TY Dan, that's it.

#10 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member