Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Nothing but tumbleweed and the whistling sound of the wind on this topic.  You probably need to make the topic name "Carnage from broken fore beam.." and then commence your post with "... is what will happen if no one suggests a decent supplier."

 

On a serious note, is it worth starting a topic called, "Suggested suppliers for maintaining/improving 8.5 multis" where us newcomers could get suggestions as to who the "go to" people are for sails, rigging, tramps and the general wizardry for setting up our GBEs and similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a serious note, is it worth starting a topic called, "Suggested suppliers for maintaining/improving 8.5 multis" where us newcomers could get suggestions as to who the "go to" people are for sails, rigging, tramps and the general wizardry for setting up our GBEs and similar?

I like this suggestion.

I replaced my forward beam a year ago with whatever Urlich had - I recall they only had 1 that fitted/was the correct diameter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever you do make sure you put in a compression tube from the forestay back to the mast. Essentual if you want to really load it up with anything off the prod. Stiffens the whole platform and much easier to do now.

 

I replaced the main beam in mine which was a real ass of a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sourced a beam from Sparloft industries. Then Me and crew replaced the beam a few weeks ago. Was super easy, kept the boat floating at the beach, slid out the old and in with the new.

 

Looking forward to putting up a bit more sail and having some fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm learning slowly... My new-last-year forward beam has cracked with about 50mm left intact.  I hadn't sleaved it, which I think is the primary issue. 

 

I've asked John/Sparloft for a quote. 

 

Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this problem when my Spyder was almost new. We didn't crack the forebeam. We 'only' bent it -- beafed it up and then bent it again. Other Spyders in Europe have broken beams so clearly a weak point with this design.

 

In 1989 I re-engineered the crossbeams from the ground up together with a friend and that was that.

 

/Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the old GBE forebeam use to always scare me when beating upwind in a blow and chop.  Doing the same yesterday in the T made me very pleased about the size of the forebeam - very very stiff.  Now I just need a bum clean and some decent sails to really make her hum upwind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We put Freedom's old square top main on and have been having quite a bit of fun but we've had a couple of lumpy trips lately and it's been working pretty hard.  It is quite alarming the amount of movement in a GBE that's considered 'normal'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...