CutawayCafe

eWOF in Wellington

Out of curiosity, why does the shore earth need to be connected to the boat earth if there is no connection between the shore power and the boat DC?  Eg, running just a dehumidifier or any appliance not connected to the DC

If you have multiple earth points, should they be connected?  Eg, a Engine/Saildrive and a SSB earthing plate - do these need connection between them?  Does this requirement change with/without shore power?

I don't currently have shore power, it is something I am considering adding for just a dehumidifier, but this thread is putting me off ...haha

The eWOF inspectors- - for whoever it was that asked- from the evans bay marina newsletter are

The process for obtaining an EWOF is –

1)      Electrician inspects boat & remedies any fault.

1 Stop Electrical, Rex Cherrington 022 111 1122

Euro Electrical, Florian 027 245 8889

2)      Electrical Inspector inspects & issues EWOF.

John Corbett 027 599 0540

My understanding is all 3 issue Ewofs, not just the last one

The process for obtaining an EWOF is –

1)      Electrician inspects boat & remedies any fault.

1 Stop Electrical, Rex Cherrington 022 111 1122

Euro Electrical, Florian 027 245 8889

2)      Electrical Inspector inspects & issues EWOF.

John Corbett 027 599 0540

Cheers Jason, I asked (Dan). All good, just to note that I asked the marina directly and they gave me a card from Surge (Simon Hoffman), saying that as a result of the EWOF requirement he was inundated. So clearly Surge is endorsed on some level by the Seaview marina for EWOF. That's why I was curious about the two names (which I now understand are known to Evans Bay). I should get out there and chat to Obelix sometime, now I think of it! Good info, especially on the tiered process, thanks!

Edited by CutawayCafe

@Nzgrant, others will have better-informed replies, but from a fellow luddite: no EWOF means probably no insurance, which is a liability for the marina plus anyone you bump into/set alight/other. Is there a breaker switch on the multiplug box? Nevertheless, the simplest interpretation of the rule is "no EWOF, no permanent connection" (although a wider literal reading is "no EWOF and/or no insurance equals no berth, regardless of power"). A tagged lead from the pylon to a battery charger and maybe one other device, and plugged into the pylon only while you're aboard, is probably a minimum. 

Marinas state their requirements in broad terms without actually interpreting the standards/rules -- because it's nigh on impossible to get consensus. So we get statements like "permanent power connections must comply in all respects with the relevant regulations". Which is fair enough. I know we have good marina people doing good work, and good boaties living responsibly, but we also have (as evidenced by this and other threads) a wide-open interpretation of a set of rules that may not stand up to a real test (including practicality). And within the muddle, people doing their best based on sometimes wildly differing advice.

I looked for the standards, a whopping $160+ for a 60 page document. I've heard two completely different interpretations from experts who've quoted on a friend's vessel.

So it comes back to that "living responsibly" bit: My own opinion is, find out what I need to do to be safe first, then (second) find out what else is needed to work in with the marina.

Some of us think, sod it, I'll disconnect, rely on solar/wind. But that avoids the real issue of personal safety. IMHO.